Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Accuracy of OraQuick Home hiv test on children
foreveraggie posted:
Does anyone have information on the validity of the OraQuick home test being used on children under the age of 17? OraQuick states that the test should not be used on children under 18 years of age. If a child unfortunately had hiv, would the test, if used correctly, detect the antibodies, or is there something different in children that would keep the test from detecting the antibodies?

georgiagail responded:
There will not be information to validate your concerns since the OraQuick site itself provides information that testing for validity has not been done on children under the age of 17.

The obvious answer to attempt to alleviate your continuous concerns over this non-event is a blood test for your son (please understand that YOU, not he needs this test to ease your worries).

However, since you have posted that your ex-wife must (it appears) give permission for such testing..and refuses to do so...there is really nothing else this forum can do to help you deal with your continuous focus on this issue.

Gail

foreveraggie replied to georgiagail's response:
Can a rapid finger prick blood test be done or would I have to do a blood draw fir a child?

georgiagail replied to foreveraggie's response:
Either test can be done on a child. Many would choose the finger prick test with results available very quickly, both for that reason (rapid results) and also because a finger prick is certainly less invasive to a child than having to draw blood from them.

The actual test is the same for both of these methods; the only difference is that in the blood draw the sample is sent to a lab versus testing done at the site of the finger prick.

Gail

foreveraggie replied to georgiagail's response:
If my sons doctor does not have the finger prick test, then I guess blood has to be drawn. That stinks! Ex has given me permission, and I have some reservations!

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.