Skip to content
definition of cunnilingus
Anon_33802 posted:
Gail, I know the risk of cunnilingus is extremely low. my question does this act include performing oral sex by just using tongue and lips on her clitoris without ever inserting my tongue/lips into her vagina. it seems that if vaginal fluids carry the virus avoiding contact with her vagina would not be a risk. I had protected vaginal sex with a sex worker and performed cunnilingus on her before intercourse. I know protected sex is safe but wanted to ask if you could clarify cunnilingus definition. I have read that once the virus can be transmitted while inside a person's body.

thanks for your help

georgiagail responded:
The problem with determining risk for HIV from various sexual acts is, well, you can't deliberately infect humans simply for the purpose of doing research on transmission...and since this virus is passed only amongst humans, you can't use animal research.

So it's doubtful you'll find data on the risk differences in performing cunnilingus on just the clitoris versus exploring the vagina with the tongue. However, since the estimated risk from unprotected oral (both receiving and giving) is so low anyway (the statistics we use are .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source known to carry the virus) that it likely doesn't matter anyway.

Remember that in order for the virus to infect someone it has to ENTER ones body (and swallowing doesn't count). That would mean that a person performing the oral sex on the female would have to have a open (i.e., bleeding) cut, wound, sore, etc. in their mouth at the time they came in contact with the infected females sexual fluids or menstrual blood.

Gail

stresstime replied to georgiagail's response:
thanks for your response and explanation. I expected your response but was just trying to lower my odds. On occasion if have these small sores in my mouth. don't know if I had them during my exposure. would those sores have to be open and bleeding to be receptive to infected fluids?

thanks for all the work you do.

georgiagail replied to stresstime's response:
There would need to be an access into your body to be considered a portal of entry for transmission. A sore that was sealed would not be such a portal. A fresh lesion from, say, a herpes outbreak, might be.

Gail

Thank you again. I am going to assume that my risk was so low that an HIV test is not warranted. this is my only exposure. thanks again

stresstime replied to stresstime's response:
Gale,

do you agree?

georgiagail replied to stresstime's response:
Many whose only "risk" is from oral sex would not bother with testing.

Gail

Gail,

yeah, protected vaginal sex and oral sex. Only risk

Helpful Tips

Help asap
My daughter disclosed to me that she was exposed to HIV. She denies that he has been tested for HIV. He also is not high risk. She told me ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.