Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Oraquick Home test Accuracy????
goingcrazy101 posted:
I have been testing for HIV since 20 days post exposure. 1st test was was blood antibody. 2nd 3rd and 4th test were with oraquick oral home test at 70, 94, 103 days post exposure (all negative) I am really scared because I have had just about all the symptoms of ars. Night sweats, chills, muscle aches, swollen lymph nodes (armpit) red pimple type rash on back. How accurate are these tests? I follow the instructions to the letter.

georgiagail responded:
ARS occurs two to six weeks after transmission, not 100 days later.

If you read the instructions on the OraQuick home test kit and followed them accurately (and these tests are designed to be fool proof) then you can trust the test results. The tests are designed to be very accurate; they are the same ones clinics use.

It's winter. People get colds and the flu with muscle aches, chills, swollen lymph nodes this time of year. For those that worry about HIV it is easy to mistake these symptoms for ARS; however, we know ARS do not occur so late in the game and certainly not after one has had four negative HIV test results.

Relax and please stop going crazy over all of this.

Gail

goingcrazy101 replied to georgiagail's response:
Hello Gail
I meant to say that I started having sudden hot flashes and feeling terrible l right before going to the doc for that first round of tests at around twenty days. Those symptoms lasted for about 4 or 5 weeks. What really scares me is the weight I was losing unintentionally and the sweating while sleeping even with a quick nap. I am scared that the oral hiv tests I am taking are not sensitive enough or that I have not produced sufficient antibodies for this type of test to pick up.

georgiagail replied to goingcrazy101's response:
By 90 days post transmission 99.99 percent of newly infected folks would have enough antibodies present to be picked up by these tests.

What makes you think you wouldn't have enough had you been infected?

Please note the only folks who might have to wait for six month testing are those whose immune systems have already been affected by other serious medical issues; for example, someone who has recently undergone chemotherapy or someone who has undergone an organ transplant and is on immune suppressing medication.

If you don't fall into these categories your immune system is perfectly fine which means it would have cranked out enough antibodies by those last two tests to certainly have positive results IF you were HIV positive.

Stop worrying about all of this.

Gail

I am having trouble accepting the negative test results because both myself and my gf have been having the same symptoms (rules out anxiety). The most difficult to deal with is terrible insomnia. I have read that insomnia is symptom of hiv. I have also read taht 1 in 12 tests can give a false negative.

foreveraggie replied to goingcrazy101's response:
GoingCrazy101, I to doubted/doubt the OraQuick results! I do believe however, that if you have taken multiple tests, then you are fine. I have given 4 to my son do to possible exposure and all negative. However, because it is my son, I took him in for blood test. I will know for certain, without a doubt, this week! Instead of stressing like I have, go get a blood test, both of you, and be done with this! I have stressed for 1.5 years, and I will bet I have taken years off of my life worrying, along with countless hours wasted obsessing over and looking up info on the Internet! Gail is obviously very knowledgable, and I trust her judgement! However, do to my OCD, I want 100% conclusive evidence that my boy is hiv negative! So please, take it from someone who has been stressed and worrying for 1.5 years, DO NOT do this to yourselves!!! Stay stressed long enough to go get a blood test tomorrow and be done with this!!!

goingcrazy101 replied to foreveraggie's response:
Yeah I know what you are trying to say. I plan on going this week. I fear its gonna be the bad news though.

My test dates were actually 40 days Blood test at the doc. 89,115,124 oral oraquick. last test at 4 months two days. i will be really dissappointed if I turn out pos after these tests

Well I tested again with the oraquick home test first thing in the morning 132 days. Did that to block out any doubt of drinking or eating excuse. It was negative again. Is there any other std that would have such severe similar symptoms to ars? I am still having night sweats and chills. Do you know how common brown streaks on fingernails are with people newly infected with hiv? I read it can either be melanoma or hiv.

Brown streaks on fingernails are not a sign of HIV. Congratulations; your testing has again shown that you are HIV negative.

Gail

georgiagail what do you think the issue was with the person who tested 10 times negative and then tested pos with blood? Out to five months. This is one of the things that still has me doubting.http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Q228027.html

There is nothing in that post that indicates the blood test was accurate. A positive test result needs to be followed up by a second test known as a Western Blot to rule out or confirm the accuracy of a the first positive result.

If you have trouble believing the OraQuick test results, go get a blood test and be done with it.

Gail

Just to clarify (again as you might be thinking). Does acute infection mean prior to the three month mark or very recent infection? I just read another article that screwed up my almost calm mind. Just put on Jan 6 this year
http://www.thebodypro.com/content/73604/large-us-study-shows-which-hiv-tests-are-most-accu.html

Acute infection means a very recent infection; in this study testing various generational tests (and the OraQuick) to include subjects with acute infection symptoms being exhibited prior to the recommended 3 month testing mark.

Remember the population and time period many of these subjects were in; young, gay men in San Francisco/sex workers in a time period where casual, unprotected sexual contact among this population was not uncommon. The purpose of this particular study was an attempt to be able to accurately diagnose early HIV transmission through traditional screening methods versus the much more expensive RNA tests.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.