Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Why Do A Lot Of Us Doubt The Oraquick Home Oral Swab Test?
nighttrain1974 posted:
A lot of us doubt the Oraquick home test. Why do we? I am almost certain a lot of the reason is we read too much stuff on the internet. Myself included. Surely it is a good test or it would not of been approved by the FDA. If the directions were followed and enough time has passed (at least 3 months according to the instructions) then we should believe our results. Anxiety, guilt, and stress are a large part of the problem as well I'm sure. If anyone else is like me, you start to notice every little thing that goes on with your body. Every pain, ache, cough, and even a pimple can throw you into panic mode. Before the event that caused us to stress over these things, we would think nothing of them. Am I right? So why do we doubt these test so much? Some very well known hiv doctors believe in them, Gail believes in them, so why don't we? After all, they know a lot more than we do about this. I myself believe them, but the majority of my problem lies within reading too much garbage on the internet and the guilt. It is a medical item and for a very serious virus, so I doubt they would market it if it didn't work.

foreveraggie responded:
I hear ya Nighttrain! For me it is guilt for possibly putting my son at risk, even though everyone says "NO RISK"!!! Yes, kids get sick, and I correlate it all to hiv, and I doubt the OraQuick because it was not intended/tested on children! I don't doubt the test on me, even though I confirmed with a follow-up OraQuick from a clinic! Guilt and too much time researching on the Internet fuel us doubters fire!!! No doubt about that!

goingcrazy101 responded:
My problem is not that I dont trust the test. I dont think this test is accurate at the early stages ( 3-4 months) That is why I am having trouble accepting my 3 negative results at 90, 115 and 124 days. I will know this week though

georgiagail replied to goingcrazy101's response:
Actually the test is quite accurate in the early stages since at that time the viral load in a newly infected individual would be quite high.

Most folks who don't trust these home tests seem to get a more secure feeling going to a lab (or a physicians office or a health clinic) and getting exactly the same test result (negative) when someone else uses exactly the same type of test on them.

Might have something to do with a health professional giving them the test. Might have something to do with having to pay someone to test them. Who knows?

Gail

nighttrain1974 replied to goingcrazy101's response:
Let us know your results goingcrazy101. I have taken 5 of the test from 11 weeks, 12 weeks, 90 days 4 months and with the last one being over 6 months after exposure. I was especially relieved after the 4 month and 6 month negative test results, but then like a idiot, I looked on the internet because my elbow was hurting. It is tendinitis, but the fear in me took over and I got scared again. For the most part I do ok day to day, but it's always in the back of my mind. My wife and I were separated while I made the worst mistake of my life. I had a hard time forgiving myself for what I did. Alcohol, depression, and loneliness do not mix I'm here to tell you. I can say it has made me a better husband and father. I no longer take things for granted. I am very grateful we are back together, but I am still haunted by my mistake. That is probably what is bothering the most. God gave me another chance and I want to do the best I can. As far as the test results go, I do believe the odds are on my side with as many as I took. Like most folks, the 1 in 12 being wrong scared me, so 5 negative test results pretty much say I'm negative. Just need to get it through my head and quit dwelling on it. I try to hide it the best I can. Some days it's real easy, some not. Either way, I'm gonna live the best I can and do the most I can for my family with time God has given me. All I want now is to grow old with my wife and one day bounce grand babies on my knee.

georgiagail replied to nighttrain1974's response:
Note to self...buy stock in home HIV test kits!

Folks..I know you won't believe me but you (and aggie, your son) ARE all HIV negative. Honestly!

Gail

nighttrain1974 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you Gail. I know it has to be aggravating dealing with people like us, but it's people like you who bring us comfort. How long exactly have you been working in the HIV field? You seem very knowledgable in it. I'm sure you have seen things that we never will. May I ask another question? What is this 1 out of 12 that will get a false result and where does it come from? The internet is full of misinformation and pulls dummies like me into it. Thank you for being patient and helping us with our problems.

There's some room for debate. Were they all past the 3 month window period? Did they perform it correctly? Gail, can you shed some light on this? The Oraquick web site does say that, but doesn't go into detail about the reason why the false negatives accured. With that said, the more you take if past the window period lowers the odds of a false negative wouldn't it?

I have no idea if they tested past the 3 month mark and yes, because the determining factor is how quickly the immune system produces antibodies the recommendation remains the 90 day time period for testing.

Many who are worried about their status cannot wait this long and either test a number of times or spend inordinately high amounts of money on DNA/PCR/viral load testing.

Couple of things to keep in mind.

1. HIV is actually one of the most difficult STD's to pick up. Unlike many others which require only contact with mucous membranes for transmission, this virus needs to be able to enter the body for transmission to take place. This would be through an open (typically bleeding) cut, wound, sore, damaged mucous membrane, directly through blood transfusion, sharing of tainted needles, etc..

2. The fear of HIV is often all balled up with guilt over things like stepping out of a relationship, visiting sex workers, engaging in sexual activities that one might not normally find themselves involved in and then viewing HIV as some sort of "deserved" punishment for such. It's far better to view HIV for what it simple is; a disease with a very specific route required for transmission. If one can view it in a clinical light it often helps as someone waits for the testing period and results.

Gail

nighttrain1974 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you Gail for your comments. You seem very knowledgable in HIV. How long have you been doing this? You have definately helped me.

goingcrazy101 replied to nighttrain1974's response:
Well 89 days was the first test 115 and 124. Hoping they are accurate by then.

I here you. My last one was 211 days past exposure. That is definately long enough past the window period.

I'm old. Been in health care since 1978; even before we knew about this disease called HIV. I can remember when the only drug to treat it was AZT. Back then it was only known as a "gay mans" disease. My oldest son is gay and in his younger days lost several friends to this disease.

An interesting timeline about HIV.

http://www.aidschicago.org/about-afc/hivaids-milestones

Gail

foreveraggie replied to nighttrain1974's response:
Gail, I am waiting for my sons dr to call me back! I am scared ____less!!!!!

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.