Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Oraquick,my story and my question
ilovemygf posted:
Hi gail,i have been reading your forum for a while now,and i have loved how you take your time to answer everyone's questions,i was hoping you would hear mine.

I had sex with a couple of sex workers in march of 2013,and all protected,on may i developed a rash,white tongue that i brush but comes back the next day,had a really high fever,and headache with back pains. every month i have taken an oraquick till feb. 2014,which were all negative. I now have a lymph node on my neck,on my collarbone,bumps in my stomach,with painful burning stomach aches,and weird diarrhea. I have made a mistake and regret deeply what i have done as i have a gf,she tested negative this month too. Now my question's are:

1. Can hiv become aids within a year or less? 2. Can oraquick detect aids? Full blown aids? 3. Within the 12 times i took oraquick which were all negative,could all of them be false negatives? 4. Can thinking too much cause any of the symptoms of hiv? 5. If i took a rapid blood test now or any other test,is there a possibility of them being positive? 6. Can hiv stay dormant in a persons body for a year before showing anti-bodies? 7. Is there that much of a difference between an oraquick,elisa,and wb test?

Please answer gail if you can,i would really appreciate it,thank you so much!

georgiagail responded:
1. Nope

2. The OraQuick test detects the antibodies connected with HIV the immune system begins to crank out after transmission has taken place. AIDS is the end stage of HIV (in an untreated individual occurs about a decade after the initial transmission).

3. Nope!

4. Of course! If you'll read back on a number of these postings you'll see a bunch of folks absolutely convinced that their "symptoms" must mean they are HIV positive.

5. Nope

6. Nope

7. There is no difference btween a the first two tests. The Western Blot is a different test used to rule out (or in) a positive screening test.

Keep this in mind in terms of your symptoms. A white tongue is NOT the same thing as oral candida (i.e., oral thrush). We all have white tongues, especially in the morning when we first wake up. Oral thrush in an HIV positive individual occurs at the end of the disease (i.e., AIDS) and is an incredibly painful symptom making swallowing very difficult.

In addition, lymph nodes in the neck and collarbone are near the surface of the skin and are easily felt even when not swollen with illness. It's just that we don't pay much attention to them until we read about HIV and then we tend to poke and prode the poor critters until the swell a bit in protest.

Your interludes with these sexual workers did NOT leave you infected. You indicate these were all protected (and I'm assuming the condom was used accurately and did not break or tear). Even IF any of these workers were HIV positive, the virus cannot cross an intact latex barrier.

Please stop worrying about this...and really, there is no need for testing after the 90 day period.

Gail

ilovemygf replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi gail!!!!!! I just wanted to say thank you for answering my questions,it's very hard to find answers to the questions i just asked,for almost a year ive been worried about the symptoms,but it was guilt that killed me inside,i am making up for all the bad things i did and im just glad that god gave me another chance,i just needed that push from you to convince me,you are a really great person for taking your time to answer all of our questions, again thank you so much and take care!!!!!!!

georgiagail replied to ilovemygf's response:
Guilt is often the cause of excessive worry regarding HIV.

It helps to remember that HIV is, after all, only a disease...and one with very specific (and often rather difficult) requirements for transmission. Luckily it tends to be one of the most difficult STDs' to transmit to another person.

It is not a punishment for a behavior such as visiting sex workers.

Gail

Helpful Tips

I am scared to death of possible HIV infection.
I went with a woman which I dontknow her HIV status , and I discovered that she is at her period, she used some tisuues to cover her ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.