Skip to content
NEED ADVICE...IM PARANOID
An_255881 posted:
It's my first time posting something any where, but I've been stressing for the past 6 years thinking I could be HIV positive. I had sex with this guy who intentionally broke the condoms(without me knowing and beats me how)when we would have sex. I would find out it "broke" once we were done. I stopped having sex with him and 4 months after I got a really bad cold with severe body ache, pink eye, swollen glands, and conjuntivitis. I was told it was a virus and no antibiotics were needed except for the eyes. I was with another guy right after the one who broke the condoms and was with him for 2 years. Now he is married. I just recently found out that the guy who broke the condoms had been sleeping with prostitutes without protection, and now I'm worried. I asked the other guy(still friends with him)if he or his wife have been tested or been fine, and neither of them are sick(thank God). I had an ultrasound for possible breastfeeding cancer and it showed that my glands by the armpit were very swollen. I got sick with bronchitis shortly after. Recently all my joints were hurting and I was tested for lupus and other stuff, but all negative....diagnosis. ..depression and anxiety. My some complexes were high others low. Lacking of vitamin S3 etc....but just recently my OCD and paranoia have been killing me. Reading about hiv symptoms and all that stuff....After 6 years I'm feeling as if I had it...I'm scared to get tested and find out I'm possitive. I haven't had sex after the last guy mentioned and don't want to have sex with anyone because I'm afraid to get something or to already have it and give it to them. Could it be possible that all of us 5 are asymptomatic for all this years? Please help me.....thank you....

georgiagail responded:
For what it's worth..

Your cold four months after you stopped having sex with him is not a symptom of HIV. Neither was your pink eye nor your swollen glands nor your conjunctivitis nor your bronchitis or anything else you've been tested for. Nada. Zippo.

The fact is, except for a short term bout of flu like symptoms two to six weeks after transmission, HIV has NO symptoms for many years (typically a decade) after the initial transmission. Thus, it is impossible to attempt to diagnose whether one is infected by symptoms. Only through testing.

If your paranoia and anxiety are "killing you" take a simple OraQuick test (these are home testing kits.). Twenty minutes later you'll have your test result.

Gail

paranoid12 replied to georgiagail's response:
Georgial thank you so much for your reply. As I understood, due to your experience you do nt think I have hiv?....I will go get an oraquick asap, I'm just so afraid to be positive. Also....is it possible that the guy I was with after and his wife be asymptomatic as well if I was positive and had given it to him?

georgiagail replied to paranoid12's response:
I understand what you are asking but the simple fact is one cannot diagnose HIV from symptoms...or lack of symptoms.

However, the odds are incredibly in your favor that even IF Mr. Condom Breaker was HIV positive he did not infect you during intercourse.

The ESTIMATED risk from unprotected receptive (that would be you) penile-vaginal intercourse is only 10 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm his status.

It's important to keep in mind that while HIV frightens the beejeebees out of us, it is also one of THE most difficult STD's to transmit to another person. Unlike many other STD's which require only contact with mucous membranes for transmission, HIV must be able to, somehow, actually enter the body through a cut, wound, tear, damaged mucous membranes, etc.. This is why transmission is so low.

You should not continue to live, as you have for the past six years, worried about HIV from this fellow. Go and get the Oraquick test kit, take the test, get the results and let us know. I highly suspect the test result will be negative and you can put all your concerns behind you.

Gail

paranoid12 replied to georgiagail's response:
Hello again, first of all, I would like to thank you for your advice. Second, I need to let you know that I had 2 oraquick tests done. I was a nervous wreck, but I got the guts and I did it. Both tests came back negative!! ....those 80 bucks spent, we're the best dollars ever spent....thank you so much for your advice and support. God bless you always.....

georgiagail replied to paranoid12's response:
Good for you finally taking these tests!

Go out and celebrate...I'd suggest chocolate!

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.