Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Oraquick question
heroslegendsmyths posted:
Hi. I went to a clinic and took a HIV test. I was giving the oraquick test that use a swab for my mouth to test for HIV. When I took the test, the person who help me take the test ask me some questions about HIV and other things. When that was finish, he look at the test and saw I was negative. The question I have is that the person took about 5 to 10 minutes at most to look at the test after I swab my mouth. How accurate is oraquick after 5 minutes. I saw the test and you can see the line that indicate me being negative but the line wasn't very dark. Would the positive line show up later if it was a full 20 minutes?

georgiagail responded:
If the line (known at the "C line" shows up, even faintly, the test is working. If no line appears (and this did not happen with you) the test is not working. If only this one line shows up, the test result is negative.

What would happen 20 minutes later is that this particular line would simply be darker. However, since only one line showed up, the test result is still the same (HIV negative).

I hope this makes sense.

Gail

heroslegendsmyths replied to georgiagail's response:
So it doesn't matter if its 5 or 20 minutes as long as a line show up?

georgiagail replied to heroslegendsmyths's response:
That is correct. The recommended time period to wait is 20 minutes; however, I suspect that this clinic is very familiar with running these tests and this is why they only waited the 5 or 10 minutes to give you the results.

If you remain concerned that this quick result may not have given you are accurate reading, you can always do the Oraquick test at home too.

Gail

Helpful Tips

I am scared to death of possible HIV infection.
I went with a woman which I dontknow her HIV status , and I discovered that she is at her period, she used some tisuues to cover her ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.