Skip to content
Oral Fluids vs Blood test
hondoguyo94 posted:
After my brief vaginal unprotected exposure, I've tested 3 times, using oraquick, at 9 weeks, at 11 weeks, and at 12 weeks, all negative. My biggest fear that bothers the living hell out of me is that one day when I try to go to the military or get health insurance . I'll get terrible news about HIV showing up in my blood

georgiagail responded:
Any test done at least 12 weeks after a potential exposure is considered to be both definitive and conclusive in terms of ones status.

In other words, your testing has shown you are HIV negative.

If you are worried that the oraquick testing will not show HIV in blood because it takes samples from the oral cavity (and not blood) don't be. In an HIV positive individual the virus would be found in these mucousal cells.

Once again, if you remain unconvinced of the accuracy of these type of tests and the idea that you may be HIV positive is making your life a "living hell" then go get a blood test to confirm your negative status.

Gail

hondoguyo94 replied to georgiagail's response:
So my question is, can I rely on this test and should I worry about hiv showing up in the future from this exposure. On a blood test

georgiagail replied to hondoguyo94's response:
Yes, you can rely on the accuracy of this test. You are HIV negative. HIV won't pop up down the road from this exposure.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.