Skip to content
Testing for aids
julian11 posted:
If HIV doesnt show up on an oral fluids test at 3 months, does this mean it wont show up on a blood draw?> thanks??

georgiagail responded:
If the oral fluid test was done correctly (meaning the test results are accurate), yes; a blood test would have the same negative test result.

Gail

julian11 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks for your answer! but how do i know if it was done correctly ?

julian11 replied to julian11's response:
And I followed the directions carefully ive done 4 of them actually i tested at 6 weeks 10 weeks 11 weeks and 12 weeks post exposure to get conclusive. But what scares me is the 1 out of 12 false negative. Thats nearly insance how did they even get approved with numbers such as that??

georgiagail replied to julian11's response:
The OraQuick test (and I'm assuming that's the one you used) is designed to be easy to use and really quite fool proof. In the false negative results on folks there is often little data to show WHEN they did the test at home. Often (like you, by the way) folks will test too early; i.e., sometimes before there are enough antibodies present to be picked up by current testing methods (even those testing methods using blood). In other words, it's not the test that's the problem but rather that the immune system hasn't had time to crank out enough antibodies to be picked by any of these antibody screen tests should one actually be HIV positive.

The recommended time period for testing is 12 weeks after a potential exposure. We've had folks post here who will test using the OraQuick days after what they consider an exposure because they are so worried about HIV. There's simply no way one can expect those results to be accurate.

Then, of course, I suppose you do have a certain number of folks who have difficulty chewing gum and tying their shoe laces at the same time. But really, the OraQuick test is quite easy to use as long as folks wait the appropriate length of time to run these type of tests.

Gail

Ok thanks, im still very scared tho, but I guess ill just have to get over it,

Becuase vaginal sex is high risk

Well, your don't have to "get over it" if you still don't trust your four test results.

You can always get a blood test.

And vaginal intercourse isn't necessarily high risk. Before I give you the statistical risk we use, tell me if you are male or female.

Gail

I am a male and theres no way im getting a blood test im terrified of waiting in a clinic, but yeah im a male and I was drunk but I sobered up so i'd say the actual penetration lasted approx. 2 minutes to be extra conservative when in reality I think I penetrated for much less than that maybe 50 secs. Idk if that matters but yea, I have a wife that I love and I don't know how I could handle this...i cant cope

Before I get a blood test ill just buy oraquick every month for the rest of my life, but yeah I realized what I was doing and I withdrew if that means anything, and would you do a bloood test if you were me?

Id also like to add that this girl was african american and VERY VERY VERY sexual active with other men UNPROTECTED so im pretty certain she has HIV. shes 18 years old

OK...deep breath time....

The estimated risk from insertive (that's you) penile-vaginal intercourse is 5 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm your partners status.

This also assumes that intercourse lasted longer than 50 seconds to 2 minutes.

The fact that your partner was 18 years old and an african american plays no role in any of this.

You can, of course, continue to purchase oraquick tests until the cost of these bankrupt you but quite honestly, there is no need for any of this. An HIV screening test done at least 12 weeks after a potential exposure is considered to be both definitive and conclusive in its tests results.

In other words, testing has shown you are clearly HIV negative and what is likely driving you a bit crazy right now is that, in a drunken episode of poor choices, you stepped out of your marriage and made a poor decision regarding having sex outside your marriage. And your guilt at doing this is perhaps coloring the idea that, somehow, your punishment should be this disease.

It isn't. Testing has shown you are HIV negative and all the further testing in the world won't change the results. Accept that, promise yourself you won't find yourself making the same poor choice when drinking again, love your wife and move on with your life.

Gail

Thanks so much for your advice and help!, so no blood test needed?

No and from your posting it does not sound as if you would wish to do one anyway because of your fear of waiting in a clinic.

Gail

No I definately dont, Im going to start some counseling tho, this fear is driving me nuts, I want to have kids and live a happy life but this fear is overwhelming, anyway I know im being annoying but thanks so much for all your help. God BLess

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.