Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OraQuick Home test in US
miamidude123 posted:
Hi Team,

Thanks for your support.
I am confused little with Oraquick home test in US(mouth Swab), The false negative rate is very high. and one of reason is The person tested too soon after exposure to HIV;"the person tested too soon after the infection"
1- So testing at 5th week is still considered too soon?
2- Is this 95% of 4-6 weeks of detection is for blood or finger prick only. Or it applies to oral swab too.
3- Who are people show infection later. i mean medically, how they are different than 95%
4- Does Antibodies produced at same time in Oral Gum line fluid as blood. Please note that Oraquick is not saliva test. It test the Oral fluid from gumline.
5- When person have less antibodies? it says when antibodies are very less in the fluid it gives false negative. Is it not very sensitive test?

georgiagail responded:
The recommended time period for HIV screening tests is 12 weeks after a potential encounter. By then 99.99 percent of newly infected folks would have enough antibodies to be picked up by these tests.

Doesn't matter whether this is done via blood test or oral swab.

Why?

Because these type of tests check for antibodies the immune system begins to crank out after transmission has taken place. You want to make certain that you've given the immune system enough time to 1. realize a foreign substance (i.e., the virus) has invaded the body and 2. the immune system has produced enough antibodies to be picked up by current screening methods.

Oral swab tests do not check for saliva. The swab picks up mucous cells in the oral cavity (i.e., along the gum line). In an HIV positive person these would contain the virus.

Gail

miamidude123 replied to georgiagail's response:
so 5 week is good indicator on home test

georgiagail replied to miamidude123's response:
It's a good start.

Gail

miamidude123 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail. can you please comment on 95 % in 4 - 6 week. is it true for this home test. 5 week is it likely to get change. thanks

georgiagail replied to miamidude123's response:
The 95 percent means that it is estimated that 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present by 4 weeks after transmission to have a "reactive" (i.e., positive) test result using ANY of the antibody screening tests.

This does not mean that a four week test IS the end all for testing. The recommended time period for final testing remains 12 weeks.

Gail

jdm0275 replied to georgiagail's response:
So Gail if I have taken the oraquick at home oral swab test at 4 1/2 n 5 month marks n both were negative...following the instructions carefully...should I trust my results

georgiagail replied to jdm0275's response:
Yep! You are HIV negative! Congratulations!

Gail

jdm0275 replied to georgiagail's response:
How do I know I can trust these results

georgiagail replied to jdm0275's response:
Look; if you don't believe the Oral Quick test, go get a blood test. Many health departments run these tests.

On the other hand, the Oral Quick test IS FDA approved for home testing of HIV.

Gail

Helpful Tips

I am scared to death of possible HIV infection.
I went with a woman which I dontknow her HIV status , and I discovered that she is at her period, she used some tisuues to cover her ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.