Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Developed ARS like Symptoms
An_255667 posted:
While enjoying myself in a warm climate and chilling on the beach, I came down with high fever and chills. Those symptoms were followed by a sore throat and swollen lymph nodes. I recognize that all my symptoms except the sore throat can be attributed to sun poisoning (sever sun burn). I stayed in the sun for long hours with no sunscreen. When I started to have difficulty swallowing, I began to worry. Although I always use protection for intercourse, the thought of catching HIV constantly worries me. When the sympptoms occurs, my last brief protected encounter with CSW was about a week ago. Because of the high fever and sore throat, I went to Urgent Care where I was give a shot of Pencillin. The Pencillin helped with the fever; all the symptoms lasted about 4-5. Could my symptoms be related to an HIV infection? I am wondering why my history of protected sex could not give me comfort whenever I experience temporary illness.

georgiagail responded:
"I am wondering why my history of protected sex could not give me comfort whenever I experience temporary illness"...

Do you have HIV phobia?

HIV scares the willies out of many people. It's easy to forget it's one of the most difficult STD's to pick up from someone who has this.

And no, your symptoms have absolutely nothing to do with HIV and everything to do with frying in the sun without sunscreen.

Gail

An_255667 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you Gail for your response.

While "phobia" might be a strong word, I worry a lot about catching HIV. You are right, it is a difficult virus to acquire and that I have a solid history of protected intercourse. Even those protected encounters are one shot encounters that do not last more than five minutes.

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.