Skip to content
HIV Testing
tmlfan posted:
I had sex recently and the condom broke. I'm not sure exactly how long I had sex without the condom but it happened.
A couple days later I got a slight sore throat although I usually get that, shortness of breath to an extent, my stomach has been hurting and getting chills/sweats.

Is there a chance of an infection and what should I do? Is it too soon to get tested or should I go anyways? I'm not even sure if STI's get tested all at once. Any information would be great. Thanks!

tmlfan responded:
It may be worth mentioning that between 2010 and 2012 I had CNS Vasculitis which is an autoimmune disease.
I'm just curious if it's too early to go to the doctor and whatnot.

georgiagail responded:
Chances of infection for any STI/STD would, of course, depend on whether your partner had any.

Testing for bacterial based STD's such as gonorrhea and chlamydia involve checking for the presence of the actual bacterial agent; thus, this testing can be done soon after a potential exposure.

Testing for viral based STD's such as HIV, HSV, etc. take longer because the usual screening methods do not check for the actual virus but rather for antibodies the immune system begins to produce after transmission has taken place. Thus, the recommendation for testing for these is 12 weeks after a potential exposure.

ARS (the first stage of HIV) occurs 2 to 6 weeks after transmission, not a couple of days later and the symptoms are described as "flu like" in nature. Of course, the one piece missing in this puzzle is the status of your partner. Is there any way they can be tested to determine what their STI/STD status is?

Gail

tmlfan replied to georgiagail's response:
Currently I'm at a clinic and about to get tested. There's supposedly a rapid HIV test so I'm going to do that too.
I've heard that those flu like symptoms can happen immediately so I was worried but for me to it seems like it's more of a stomach virus if anything however I can't remember eating anything bad.
I'm not sure how much I can take my partners word for it but she says she doesn't have it however with HIV lingering underneath I can't be sure.
There's absolutely nothing I can do in between right? I've just got to wait it out?

georgiagail replied to tmlfan's response:
You could ask your partner to get tested.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.