Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Took a oraquick test after a year of encounter, showed negative
An_256548 posted:
So I had an encounter over a year ago, I used protection during but I am still paranoid and Want to be sure that i am hiv negative. I swabbed the top and bottom and followed directions. and it showed negative. I also am ocd and i am just worried maybe i didn't wet the swab enough so it can test properly. it said to swab only once each side. should i be worried. Not to mention I Have been experiencing chills and fatigue. I've been to the doctor countless times to stop feeling this way but a part of me keeps thinking that i might be infected. I have been in a relationship for a long time and don't wanna get her infected if i am.

Should i be concerned?

georgiagail responded:
Should you be concerned you are HIV positive?

No. A test done at least 3 months after a potential exposure is considered to be both conclusive and definitive in its results.

Should you be concerned you screwed up taking the test?

No. The Oraquick test really is designed to be fool proof.

Should you be concerned that your chills and fatigue means you are HIV positive?

Nope. Except for a short term bout of "flu like" symptoms two to six weeks after transmission, HIV has NO symptoms for many years after the initial infection. It's not until the virus has destroyed the immune system that serious symptoms start to appear. In an untreated individual this takes (on average) a decade after the initial transmission. In other words, whatever is causing your chills and fatigue has nothing to do with HIV.

Should you be concerned about your OCD?

Perhaps. It's a bummer to have this.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.