Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hiv testing
An_256430 posted:
While it is widely believed that 95% of people infected with hiv will have detectable antibodies by 6 to 8 weeks,can u pls answer hat category are the rest 5%.Is is due to age,weight,immune and auto immune disorders,medications and other general conditions.Also what percent of people as per ur knowledge tested positive after a negative test at 8 to 10 weeks.Pls keep in mind the tests carried out in developing countries are usually of the second generation.As per my knowledge the first generation tests did not test for Hiv 2 .Pls correct me if I am wrong.

georgiagail responded:
Likely due to the immune system since it is this system that is cranking out the antibodies.

Actually, I know of no one who has tested positive after a negative test at 8 to 10 weeks. However, that's no guarantee it hasn't happened. Which is why the "gold standard" for testing is 90 days after a potential exposure. By then 99.99 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present to be picked up by current screening methods.

Who falls into the very, very small .01 percent left over? Those whose immune systems are already damaged by other, very serious medical issues. For example, someone who has very recently undergone chemotherapy or someone who has had an organ transplant and is on immune suppressing medication to prevent rejection of this organ. For those folks, six month testing is the recommended time period.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.