Skip to content

    Announcements

    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!


    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Hiv testing
    avatar
    An_256430 posted:
    While it is widely believed that 95% of people infected with hiv will have detectable antibodies by 6 to 8 weeks,can u pls answer hat category are the rest 5%.Is is due to age,weight,immune and auto immune disorders,medications and other general conditions.Also what percent of people as per ur knowledge tested positive after a negative test at 8 to 10 weeks.Pls keep in mind the tests carried out in developing countries are usually of the second generation.As per my knowledge the first generation tests did not test for Hiv 2 .Pls correct me if I am wrong.
    Reply
     
    avatar
    georgiagail responded:
    Likely due to the immune system since it is this system that is cranking out the antibodies.

    Actually, I know of no one who has tested positive after a negative test at 8 to 10 weeks. However, that's no guarantee it hasn't happened. Which is why the "gold standard" for testing is 90 days after a potential exposure. By then 99.99 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present to be picked up by current screening methods.

    Who falls into the very, very small .01 percent left over? Those whose immune systems are already damaged by other, very serious medical issues. For example, someone who has very recently undergone chemotherapy or someone who has had an organ transplant and is on immune suppressing medication to prevent rejection of this organ. For those folks, six month testing is the recommended time period.

    Gail


    Helpful Tips

    heres my point
    stay away from needles unless your health depends on it...and for christs sake dont share them. too late for me to heed that advice. dying ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.