Skip to content
AM I HIV infected?
An_256794 posted:
hello doctore.. Please help me
i had unprotected sex on 16th february. I got low fever the next day with body aches. Doctor gave me antibiotic and I felt bette rafter a week. but I had a lingering sore throat that started after 2 weeks of the exposure. The doctor gave me amoxicillin which i took for one week but the problem persisted. It was not actually a sore throat but i felt something is there in the back of my throat like a lump. I don't feel really tired or i don't have any flu symptoms or shortness of breath. I went to the doctor again , he gave me E-Mycin and did HIV test on 25th february (5 weeks after the exposure) . The test came back negative and I took e-mycin for 2 weeks but that sore throat thing did not feel better and i got oral thrush. I went back to the doctor and he said that it is unikely that it is related to hiv and gave me Nystatin. he said that may be the oral thrush is dropping back in my throat and is causing the lump i am feeling it in the throat. I also noticed some flat red pin point marks appearing on my hands , neck , legs and feet. I am really worried and it is killing me, Does this mean I am seroconverting and I am infected with HIV? am i one of those 5% people who seroconvert after 6 weeks?

georgiagail responded:
We do not attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms; only by test results.

Your negative test result at five weeks is a good sign that you are not HIV positive but you did engage in unprotected sex and I'm assuming you did it with a partner whose HIV status is unknown to you. Get a second test at 90 days and stop having unprotected intercourse unless you are certain your partners are HIV negative.

Keep in mind that you've been on quite a few antibiotics and when you do that it's not unusual that yeast and fungal infections can result from excessive antibiotic use. That might explain the oral thrush. In HIV oral candida in the absence of antibiotics is seen at the very end stage of the disease when the patient has moved from HIV to AIDS. In an untreated individual this takes about a decade from the initial transmission to occur, not a couple of months after transmission.

Take that second test at 90 days and report the results back to us.

Gail

mmmalik replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks for your reply. I really really appreciate it.

I have taken another test on 16th April (8 weeks), and i am waiting for the result.

just one more thing, I had in my mind if your don't mind please.

What about the red skin marks and isolated rash on my neck and arms near elbows. Can it be the after effects of antibiotics too?

Thanks

Asad

georgiagail replied to mmmalik's response:
Some folks do get rashes from antibiotics.

Gail

Hello Gail,

My 8 weeks test came back negative.
I have taken another test today (11 weeks) out of anxiety because i have been experiencing some symptoms like tired legs when i walk a little (fatigued legs) and I have to take long breaths at times to feel normal (sort of shortness of breath) even when I am resting.

I have also been feeling cramps in my stomach for the last 3 -4 weeks, no diarrhea at all, burping, passing wind and going to toilet makes it better. It usually happens when after eating something.My GP has asked me for an abdomen CT scan and H Pylori breath test. I am taking Gaviscon tablets twice a day an that has helped with the cramps.

Do you think it could be HIV related, fatigued legs and shortness of breath? I will appreciate your help.

Asad

Do I think any of your symptoms are connected to HIV?

We don't attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms. Only by testing. I'm going to assume your 11 week test result is (or will be) negative.

Gail

Thanks for your response.

I understand that going by symptoms is not the correct way of diagnosing HIV. But the reason I asked that was many websites say that shortness of breath and fatigue are one of the signs.

One more thing, when you say assume you mean I am unlikely to be positive after 8 weeks negative result?

Asad

Up to 95 percent of newly infected folks will have a "reactive" (i.e., positive) test result at one month post transmission. By 3 months this has increased to 99.99 percent.

Thus, someone who tests at 8 weeks falls somewhere between these two statistics. In other words, it would be HIGHLY unusual that someone would test negative at 8 weeks and positive at 12 (or 11 in your case).

Shortness of breath and fatigue can be caused by a whole lot of things, including lack of sleep over worrying about this disease.

Gail

Thank you very much for your help.

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.