Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Getting pricked by HIV needle?
An_256818 posted:
I went to a concert 2 weekends ago, I felt a poke/prick on my arm and I am a very nervous person so I was worried that it was an HIV infected needle. The morning after the concert I had a sore throat. I went on medication for strep throat and the sore throat went away. Also, 7ish of my friends who went to the concert were sick at the same time I was. One girl had mono and the other had influenza B. Now a week later (yesterday I spent time with the girl who had the flu) I have a fever and a headache. Do you think this poke could have been an infected needle? I went to the Dr. and got tested for influenza b and mono and it was negative (though these tests are sometimes inaccurate). When I felt the prick on my arm I did not see anyone nor was there a needle stuck in my arm but could a quick prick be able to transfer the virus? I am freaking out.

georgiagail responded:
"Do you think this poke could have been an infected needle"?

No. I suspect this was nothing more than a poke on your arm and being a nervous person you are now overly worried this was a needle stick from an HIV positive person.

Stop freaking out and worrying about all of this.

Gail

ak2876 replied to georgiagail's response:
thank you for replying. do you think this is just a coincidence that the fever and other symptoms came a week and a half after?

georgiagail replied to ak2876's response:
No. You went to a crowded concert and 7 of your friends who went also got sick. They weren't all stuck by someone running around with HIV filled needles. Someone caught a "bug" from the crowd at the place and they are passing it around to you and you caught it. (and the bug is NOT HIV).

Gail

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.