Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
hiv rna testing info
An_256930 posted:
I am currently freaking out while I wait for the window period to pass. So at 40 days post exposure I took an rna hiv test. I'm currently waiting on the results. Does anyone have information about the rna test. Are the conclusive? Are they accurate? Etc;

georgiagail responded:
Unlike the usual HIV screening tests (which check for antibodies the immune system begins to produce after transmission has taken place), the "RNA HIV" test checks for the presence of the virus:

http://www.webmd.com/hiv-aids/hiv-viral-load-what-you-need-to-know

It's a more expensive (and trickier) test that not all labs can run.

Gail

An_256930 replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail
Thank you for the reply. I have been reading a lot of your answers and I want to thank you for helping so many!

I read your response and clicked on the link. Now I'm more confused. From what I understand I took the test for nothing. Because it's not used to diagnose hiv. Ugh ..... my anxiety is growing and I can't handle this.

georgiagail replied to An_256930's response:
It can be used to diagnose HIV. It's not recommended because of the cost and complexity of running the test. The antibody test is still the "gold standard" for screening tests.

However, there are many who find it difficult to wait the recommended 90 day time period to test using the antibody testing method and go the RNA/DNA route of testing.

Gail

An_256930 replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail
I should have my results in a few days. I will be sure to let u know. Also if my results are negative do I have to test again at 90 days?

georgiagail replied to An_256930's response:
If the lab is familiar with running this particular test, a negative result indicates no virus is present in your body and thus you are HIV negative.

It would be entirely up to you if you wish to follow this testing with a 90 day antibody test.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.