Skip to content
rapid testing late, concerned expecting dad... please look
edward79 posted:
Hello, my wife and I are expecting our first baby in august.. She had a hiv test done in her first round of blood work and she was negative.. I myself have never had one done so I decided to purchase 2 oraquick tests... Both were negative as well.. Still worried that something may be incorrect I bought a generic blood rapid test online (from a reputable seller) and that too was negative.. A small drop of the solution splashed on the test window, but I am not sure if this would not make a positive line show up or not.. (just the control line showed up as well).. I am worried since my last possible risk exposure (prior to my wife) would have been 10-12 years ago, and have read conflicting info about loss of core antibodies that rapid tests cannot pick up in late stage hiv and cannot help to think "what if" this is me..?? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated..

georgiagail responded:
You are HIV negative. Please stop worrying about this.

How do I know this? Because someone who has reached the point where their body is no longer able to produce antibodies would be, quite frankly, deathly ill, having reached the stage of AIDS.

I'm going to assume that you do not have symptoms such as severe weight loss, frequent and uncontrollable diarrhea, specific types of pneumonia typically seen only in AIDS patients, frequent infections requiring rather constant hospitalizations, Kaposi's sarcoma, etc. etc., correct?

In an untreated individual it would take (roughly) a decade for someone to go from HIV to AIDS. Since your last exposure would have been 10-12 years ago if infected then you would very likely be at the end stage of the disease with at least some...if not all...of the above symptoms.

Gail

edward79 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you for getting back to me.. I have a few strange symptoms, but not really any you have mentioned.. Would my wife also likely have been infected as well since we have have been having unprotected sex for the last 9 years? Sorry if I sound paranoid, I would just be beside myself if I had something and infected my wife or baby at this point ... I had full trust in my oraquick results until I started trying to find reasons not to on the internet..< big mistake

georgiagail replied to edward79's response:
Both you and your wife are HIV negative.

Please stop worrying about all of this and enjoy planning for the birth of your first child in August.

Gail

I am not sure why so many people (myself included) have a hard time dealing with the "fear of hiv" and also with not believing there oraquick results.. It sure has put me in a panic the last few months and I cant help but to keep searching the internet for reasons why I may have hiv, instead of just believing the results... thanks for your time and patience though.. It really does help!

Perhaps because you are facing a significant milestone in your life (the birth of your first child).

It may help to keep in mind that of all the STD's out there HIV is one of the most difficult ones to transmit to another person. Unlike many other STD's which require only contact with mucous membranes for transmission, this virus must be able to, somehow, actually enter the body (typically through an open cut, wound, damaged or irritated mucous membrane) for transmission to actually take place. This is a very good thing!!

Gail

I know I am definitely getting anxious about the birth of our child for sure, and its probably the over protecting parent kicking in with this fear.. Also, I know one can contribute lots of symptoms to hiv and other types of things, but I wanted to run a few things by you to see if they sound out of the ordinary.. I have had for at least 10 years a white-ish coated/colored tongue that seems to have a thicker build up on the back of it..I can gently get the coating to come off a little with a q tip or my finger.. It generally has a foul smell and I sometimes have a metallic taste and a very light burning feel on my tongue as well.. I went to the doc for this years ago and he dismissed it rather quickly...Also I have a feeling of something stuck in my throat on the left side , and can be a little difficult (not painful) to swallow at times.. Seen a ENT doc 2 years ago , and he looked at throat through a scope also dismissing this saying I could have my tonsils taken out if I want , but left it up to me.. I have had a white patchy toenail fungus on my big toe only for the last 2 years.. Not really bothering me, but always hear about "fungal" infections with hiv... And lastly I get about 2-3 chest colds/upper respitory infections every year .. Always have to take mucinex to clear me out as its the only thing that helps... I generally do not get the typical cold/fever /flu types of illnesses that I see others getting.. Thanks again for taking your time to read/help..

While we do not attempt to diagnose HIV by "symptoms", none of these things have anything to do with HIV.

Everyone has a white coat on their tongue (especially when they wake up in the morning) and breath that can often peel paint off the walls. This is NOT oral thrush which is an incredibly painful oral fungal infection making swallowing almost impossible and again seen at the end of the disease.

Same thing with your toenail fungus. Same thing with getting a cold 2-3 times a year. That's called normal living, not having HIV.

What you focus on is your test results. Which were (for the both of you) negative. Again, neither you nor your wife have this virus. This is GOOD news. Go out and celebrate and quit worrying about HIV. Really!

Gail

I am just waiting for it to "click" in my head that we are good to go.. Last thing because I know you get over anxious ppl like me bugging you all the time.. The generic blood rapid test I took, when I was adding the developer solution a tiny spec of it splashed on the test window (right around where the T would be).. Would this have any bearing on the line not showing up at all? Also as far as any test credibility goes this is the test I took..Would you trust the results with a test like this? thanks again for your time..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rapid-Advanced-HIV-1-HIV-2-Home-Test-Non-prescription-/321360630926?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D321360630926%26_rdc%3D1&nma=true&si=0si%252FN4RRpywfXdPI2ash95h2rWw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

While there are many HIV test kits available, the HIV-Home Access I test kit is the FDA approved one for home testing using a blood sample.

The OraQuick test kit is the FDA approved one using samples from mucous membranes (i.e., swabbing of the gums).

I cannot speak on the accuracy of the test kit you purchased through ebay since it is not one of the FDA approved kits.

Most folks use the OraQuick as the results are available in 20 minutes and it, of course, doesn't require that they do any finger pricking. It's available in many drug stores, Walmart, etc.

Gail

I bought the 2 oraquick kits first, then this one from ebay since it was the only rapid blood one I could find.. Just wanted to get your take on it, but I can understand you not being able to comment.. this company claims 99% accuracy as well.. As far as having a little speck of solution splashed on the test window as I mentioned, do you think it would have any affect on a line not showing up??

No, it would not.

Gail

thanks Gail for all your help/guidance! take care, --Edward

edward79 replied to edward79's response:
Hey Gail, sorry to bother once more.. I told you the other day about the white patchy toenail fungus that I have had on my big toe for the last 2/3 years.. Looking for ways to treat it I was searching for suggestions on the net and of course I keep coming across how people with hiv can have white toenail fungus, and its getting my head spinning again! So frustrating!! I know you said that you do not diagnose symptoms, but have you seen things like this before in hiv patients? This is when I start doubting my negative oraquick test results.. I hate this feeling...thanks for your patienece

Please stop trying to diagnose HIV by symptoms.

Many people without HIV have toenail fungus. It's very common.

We do not do diagnose HIV by "symptoms". Only testing will confirm a persons status. You have taken 2 FDA approved tests (the Oraquick test) and both have shown negative test results.

If you still have trouble accepting the Oraquick test results, go to your local health department (or physician) and request an antibody test using a blood sample (or purchase the HIV-1 Home Access test kit).

Perhaps getting yet another negative test result using a blood sample and an FDA approved test kit will finally allow you to put your fears of a disease you do not have behind you.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Help asap
My daughter disclosed to me that she was exposed to HIV. She denies that he has been tested for HIV. He also is not high risk. She told me ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.