Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Unsure about results
baddecision posted:
Gail, what are the possibilities of 6 oraquick false negatives the last one being over 4 months post exposure, I have had every sign & symptom & now nervousness has taken over I even had her take a test but hers was just under 2 months post, negative as well, what if not HIV can I have to have had all these symptoms

georgiagail responded:
"What are the possibilities of 6 oraquick false negatives the last one being over 4 months post exposure.."

Zero.

You are HIV negative. Accept this and move on. Really. No further testing is needed.

I have no idea what signs and symptoms you are having so I cannot comment on what is cause of all of these. Perhaps (like many) you've been reading about symptoms on the internet and suddenly BOOM! you are experiencing these (honestly, it happens quite a bit to those worried about HIV).

Why do we know this has nothing to do with HIV?

Because...except for a short term bout of flu like symptoms two to six weeks after transmission HIV has NO symptoms for many years. Nada. Zip. Zero. It is only when the immune system has begun to be terribly damaged by this disease (on average a decade after transmission in an untreated individual) that we begin to see symptoms.

Thus most of the "symptoms" folks relate to HIV early on have more to do with what they've read on the internet than anything else.

Testing beats "symptoms" each and every time. And six tests have clearly proven your negative status.

Note to self...buy stock in Oraquck tests!

Gail

baddecision replied to georgiagail's response:
I appreciate your response Gail, my symptoms started out like a flu except no congestion at all, had the sweats, pains, nausea, diarrhea, very tired, and loss of appetite, that lasted 8 days, since then I have been having body aches and pains, chest pains, and herpes simplex outbreaks that I haven't had since my teen years! I've gone to 2 Drs they both gave antibiotics and problems slightly disappeared for a few days but came right back, really aggravating, problem is I don't even have my own Dr. Wasn't really nervous at first but now really have to wonder if I did the tests correctly?

georgiagail replied to baddecision's response:
Things to keep in mind..

1. ARS does not last for over four months (I'm assuming your "exposure was about four months ago since you mention your timeline for testing). It lasts about two weeks, same as the "regular" flu.

2. Body aches, chest pains, even herpes simplex outbreaks aren't all that unusual. Heck; some days when I get up in the morning I sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies walking across the bedroom floor. This has nothing to do with HIV. In a sense if having a very unusual symptom...say ones nose turned green if HIV positive...connected to this disease then this might be helpful. As it is, the only way to know ones true status is through testing and testing has clearly shown your status.

3. The Oraquick test is designed to be foolproof. I mean, honestly, how difficult can this be? You swab, you place, you wait, you check the results. Perhaps ones dog might run away with the swab once (messing up the test) but six times???
http://www.oraquick.com/

4. If you don't believe the results (or accuracy) of this test, get a blood test. Sometimes folks who have trouble accepting the accuracy of the oral tests just need to do this for their own peace of mind. Not that this needs to be done for ANY risk that the oral tests are inaccurate...but rather to close the book on their fears of such. Getting that final "nonreactive" (i.e., negative) test result sometimes helps those who are struggling to put this behind them.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.