Skip to content
Can tonsilitis/pharyngitis delay the production of HIV antibodies?
itsmegeorge posted:
Hi.
I took a 4th gen test at 57 days and it came out negative. After much research on the internet I read that the UK stated that any test results after 47 days can be considered conclusive but places like the US only consider a 3 month test conclusive. My question is probably rather stupid. I've been fighting a case of tonsilitis/pharyngitis for 2 months now and I've been on antibiotics for it those 2 months too. Could this illness have affected in anyway the antibody production process, should there have been any, thus me getting false results? How about the symptoms? If I had REAL ones, would my results have been positive?
I have never engaged in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. The only unprotected sex I've had was give oral 2 months ago and I am worrying about this because I think my tooth started going bad back then. There was no ejaculation in my mouth, only a bit of precum which I immediately swallowed.

My doctor says that since I tested after 8 weeks and 2 days I'm vastly outside the window period and I do not need any further testing but I do not know what to believe, I have read so many things.

georgiagail responded:
Listen to what your physician has told you.

Oral sex in itself carries an EXTREMELY low risk of HIV transmission. Think along the lines of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus (and that's assuming the act was carried to completion).

HIV is a virus. The fact you were on antibiotics (which is used to treat bacterial infections) would have no effect on your immune system producing antibodies to the virus IF you were infected with HIV.

Gail

itsmegeorge replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I am trying to.
Thing is the pharyngitis I'm having is streptococcal. Does this change anything?

Thanks,
George

georgiagail replied to itsmegeorge's response:
George...

Not in the least. You're being treated for strep throat.

Gail

Hello again.

Thank you for your insight. I must admit, I know my questions must seem idiotic, but you know how HIV anxiety can get the best of you.

One last question, how often does it occur that someone who is tested negative after 8 weeks can test positive after 12 weeks, IF infected?

-George

Since up to 95 percent of newly infected folks will have a "reactive" (i.e., positive) test result at a 4 week test and 99.9 percent at a 12 week test result, it is HIGHLY unlikely someone would test negative at 8 and positive at 12. HIGHLY unlikely.

Gail

Would you recommend any further testing based on my input?

-George

I am not your physician but your own physician has stated that further testing is not indicated for you.

Thus, only test at 3 months if YOU feel the need to do so. The result will undoubtedly be non-reactive (i.e., negative).

Gail

Helpful Tips

Rashes from below
My biggest concern ever while having a girl in bed is hoping my rash doesn't show. At one point my own penis is cock blocking me by having ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.