Skip to content
Oraquick Performance CDC Article
ranjed1987 posted:
Dear Gail

First I want to thank you for the help and the advises you give them to us on this forum. I want to share this information that you might know with you and everybody on this forum, Last week I sent an email to CDC asking about OraQuick Testing performance and accuracy after 3 months of a potential exposure. I received the respond 2 days ago. Like usual They referred me to their website "basic info about HIV testing". BUT They also included me an INTERESTING ARTICLE to read about OraQuick Performance.

For my little understanding, according to this article the OraQuick test demonstrated 100% specificity and 96% sensitivity EVEN on people with highly active antiretroviral therapy with only four false-negative. These figures seems pretty good and high, which means OraQuick is reliable if testing performed according to the directions on the package kit and after 3 months window period of potential exposure would give an accurate result you can rely on.

Here is the link to the article the CDC sent it to me, anyone can read it and have a look at it.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC154669

I need your comment please, What do you think? So from what I little understood in this article is right or wrong?

Thank Gail

georgiagail responded:
I think, as I always have that the OraQuick test is an effective test for HIV; it's easy to use, hard to screw up on and easily available for those worried about their status.

Gail

jdm0275 replied to georgiagail's response:
This article talks about oraquick advance...so can we apply this info to the oraquick test that was approved by fa for home testing in 2012...I have gotten neg results on this test but worry if the results are wrong and if I have put my fiance at risk

ranjed1987 replied to jdm0275's response:
Dear jdm0275

Note: When I asked the CDC about HIV testing, I particularly asked them about the (Oraquick In-HOME HIV1/2 Test) AND they answered me with this article. So I think they know what I'm talking about. which means I think these Info apply in somehow to (Oraquick In-HOME HIV1/2 Test) since it is similar to oraquick advance used in clinics, health departments, doctors offices... etc...

This is how I understood it from them. I hope I'm correct Gail !!!!!
Thanks.

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.