Skip to content
Could my child have been exposed?
autumn06 posted:
Something happened last year that never gave me pause until now, and now my guilt over the thought that I could have exposed my child to hiv has me wondering.

I had a short relationship with someone whose health status I don't know, although I have no reason to believe he has any contagious diseases. My child was breast-feeding at the time (he was 2), and my question is this; if I had this person's saliva on my breast and later that day breast-fed my child, could this have put him at risk for hiv, or possibly hepatitis (he's only had his first hep b shot so far)? I know that hiv isn't spread directly by saliva, but I believe there have been cases where it's been spread through contact with fluids from someone's mouth; i.e. if there was a small amount of blood from an open wound or something, that got mixed in with the saliva. I feel like I know the answer to this question, but would really like to have the assurance of someone who knows more about it than I do.

I've already had myself tested and everything came back negative. I don't want to have to subject my child to having blood drawn if it isn't necessary.

Thanks in advance for your understanding. Last year was very difficult for me, and I made some bad choices; I just need to make sure that my bad choices haven't harmed my child.

georgiagail responded:
There is no risk of either HIV nor hepatitis from any of this.

Gail

autumn06 replied to georgiagail's response:
Looks like you're the local expert around here Gail - thanks for the response. I realize my concern may have seemed silly, but it's hard to deal with the thought that I might have harmed my child that way.

georgiagail replied to autumn06's response:
It's OK. Lots of folks worry about HIV. The good news is that it is a very delicate virus outside the body (typically dying very quickly outside the security of the human body) and requires very specific modes of transmission to infect another human being.

Gail

Yes - reading more about it here has made me feel more comfortable. I think I was really more concerned about hepatitis B, because it actually can be spread by saliva. Do you know enough about this to feel confident that he couldn't have been at risk for that either?

You have no knowledge that this person you were with has hepatitis B. The fact that he was getting his series of vaccinations for this virus is not unusual and (of course), it doesn't mean he's infected with the virus. As a health care worker I've gone through the same series myself and my chances of coming in contact with the bodily fluids of someone infected with this virus is extremely rate.

Gail

Oh - I think you may have misunderstood. I meant that my son had only had his first vaccination for it so far.

Oops; I thought it was the partner getting these vaccinations.

Still there really is no risk for hepatitis transmission from the scenario as you have described.

Gail

Thank you!!

Helpful Tips

Help asap
My daughter disclosed to me that she was exposed to HIV. She denies that he has been tested for HIV. He also is not high risk. She told me ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.