Skip to content
Hiv testing
An_256430 posted:
Dear sir, I had taken 02 hiv tests at 77 and 79 days respectively.It was done by card method and the technician told me that it is of first generation.Pls advise can I test positive as I have taken another test at 4 months and I am awaiting results.I am very worried as the test done was of the earliest generation and now I an scared to death.

georgiagail responded:
Since you haven't described the event that led you to do testing in the first place, we can't comment on that.

However, while the recommended time period for testing is 90 days, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that someone would test negative at 77 and 79 days and positive at 90 (or in your case, 4 months).

Look at it this way....

Up to 95 percent of newly infected folks will have a "reactive" (i.e., positive) screening test at around 1 month post transmission using any of the generation antibody screening tests. In other words, there will be enough antibodies being produced by their immune system by 1 month in 95 percent of these folks that the test will come back as "positive".

By 3 months (90 days) this has increased to 99.99 percent (the extremely small group that might need to wait for six month testing are those whose immune systems have been damaged by other, very serious medical issues).

Now, testing at 77 and 79 days falls in between those two statistics but much closer to the 99.99 percent mark.

In other words, your 4 month test result will be no different than the other ones you have taken. It will come back as negative.

Come back and give us this result, OK.

Gail

sailor5 replied to georgiagail's response:
My results are as follows: Test name: HIVE, Method: Elisa Value: 0.03 Negative<0.90,Equivocal:0.91-1.10,Positive>1.11 Understood as negative. Thanks a lot for the support.Test taken after 6 months .Can I move on with my life.Its been a traumatic period.Support is what one needs during this trauma.Once again thanks and lots of good luck to all and to all I need to tell is that don't lose hope until u see the results.

georgiagail replied to sailor5's response:
Yep; negative. Celebrate!!

Gail

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.