Skip to content
Frightened
anonymous posted:
Hello, In early December of 2012 I engaged in what my doctor calls "Risky sexual Behavior". Anal sex was involved, I do not know if the condom broke or not. Sometime around May of 2013, I had a sudden burst of chronic diarrhea. After about a month, I got scared and did an Oraquick test which read negative. I'm not sure if that result was accurate seeing as how I did use oral dental products prior to taking it. I waited 45 minutes after before I used the kit but since i was already experiencing dry mouth, I'm not sure if it threw the test off or not. I then went to my doctor who did a physical exam and said hes not suspicious of HIV at all. He then did a General Wellness test which he said my immune system had not been under attack for a while. He said he sees signs of IBS or Acid reflux. I notice it only happens during periods of heavy consecutive thunderstorms. Im afraid I also threw this test off by taking a lot of protein supplements right before seeing him. The following January, I start feeling heavy congestion and soreness in my throat, also my normal body temp of 96.5 had gon up into the 97 range and has stayed there until this very moment. My Doctor's partner said either its Strept or I'm allergic to the cigarettes I smoke (Im a chain smoker). My Doctor thinks it has something to do with the amount of mold in the air since there has been a drastic weather change in my state over the past year or so. This seemed to go on until mid-late February or so. Late March-Early April, I experienced a body rash from my upper arms down to my shoulders, my armpits, entire back, and my abdomen. My doctor said it was a form of Rosaecha (sp?) and that it just happens. It was gone in about a month and a half. Now in mid may (Right before a series of high humidity thunder storms), I was smoking and felt a sinus infection coming on, I remember waking up and coughing a lot that night. I woke up with a sinus infection and my jowls feel swollen. They swell up right before each storm and deflate once the rain starts to fall. Also, a sore throat. headache in the back of my head and i can feel a ticklish feeling in the front right above my eyebrows. My doctor said HIV wasn't even in his top 100 of causes for this but understands my concern. He says its time to stop smoking but I believe I over-googled possibly. I also believe that I have a genetically strong immune system and that may have thrown all testing off as well. I know its a little late to be thinking about HIV now but I believe there's still a chance and it worries me. He hasn't done an official HIV test due to the cost and me paying everything out of pocket (I have insurance but the reviews I read about the guy I'm SUPPOSED to see aren't encouraging). But My doctor remains adamant that this is not HIV and keeps telling me "When you hear hooves, Its usually horses, not Zebras." I know I NEED to have an official test done in order to put my mind at rest but I am scared.

An_257484 responded:
Can I get an answer on this? Im really panicking.

georgiagail replied to An_257484's response:
Stop trying to diagnose HIV by symptoms and listen to what your physician has told you.

Your Oraquick test taken five months after the sexual event clearly has shown you are HIV negative.

If you still have difficulty believing this, go to your local Health Department, take an HIV test through them (it will undoubtedly be negative), stop worrying about this and quit the tobacco abuse.

Gail

georgiagail replied to georgiagail's response:
Phase II

May I point something out that I believe you may possibly be confused about.

HIV screening tests such as the Oraquick test do not check for the actual presence of the virus. Instead they check for the presence of antibodies the immune system begins to produce after transmission has taken place.

While you may (or may not) have what you consider a "genetically strong immune system (whatever the heck that is) the fact is it's the immune system that kicks out these antibodies.

It takes a while for the immune system to realize that a foreign substance has entered the body and it begins to produce antibodies against it. This is true even of the more common infections such as colds and this is why we recommend waiting at least three months after a potential exposure to test for HIV (although in truth the vast majority of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present by one month post transmisssion to test positive).

In your case, your possible "exposure" was December of 2012; you tested in May or June of 2013, correct? This would be FAR enough along that if the December event left you infected, the test result would clearly have come back as "reactive" (i.e., positive).

All of what you consider are symptoms have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with HIV because, except for a short term bout of flu like symptoms two to six weeks after transmission, HIV has NO symptoms for many years after transmission. It is not until the immune system has been ravaged by this disease that we begin to see serious symptoms. In an untreated individual this takes, on average, about a decade after the original infection took place.

I hope this makes sense.

Gail

scared12886 replied to georgiagail's response:
Right now, im wondering if I was asymptomatic by then. Im reading that the test has trouble picking up signs of infection in that stage

georgiagail replied to scared12886's response:
You are again mistaking what testing checks for.

Folks who test too early...days after transmission for example...will often get a "false negative" test result. They are infected but their immune system has not yet cranked out enough antibodies to be able to be picked up by current testing methods.

By three months post transmission, 99.99 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies to test positive on screening tests. You tested even further than this date.

Testing does not check for "infections" but rather antibodies connected with this disease.

You are HIV negative. Whatever symptoms you think you are having are not connected to this disease.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.