Skip to content
Necrotizing fasciitis
aki_rhia posted:
To cut a long story very short, I'm trying to gather some information on necrotizing fasciitis due to Streptococcus pneumoniae, and since, from the little I know, individuals with weakened immune systems are susceptible, I thought someone in this forum might have some information.
My questions relate to the proper preventative measures and guidelines for care for visitors of a patient who is dying of necrotizing fasciitis due to Streptococcus pneumoniae. Three classes of individual have been visiting: healthy adults between the ages of 25-65; adults with weakened or compromised immune systems; and apparently healthy children as young as 9 months.
Among the healthy and compromised adults, individuals have spent between 1 hour and over 40 total hours with the patient. Visits began while the patient still had the pneumonia, before the first antibiotic treatment. Among the children, I don't think any child spent over 2 hours with the patient, and the patient had been receiving antibiotics for 1 day before the first child visited (sheer, dumb luck, I assure you).
Given these parameters, is there anything that should be done for these three classes of visitor? Are there "good practices" for preventative measures, guidelines for symptoms to watch for, etc?

georgiagail responded:
In terms of preventive measures...and I'm going to assume that these visitors are not touching the areas of infection.. the normal hand washing that should be encouraged after visiting patients with open wounds.

Is this patient hospitalized? If so, the hospital may have him/her on certain isolation precautions and these should be listed on the wall outside the room.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Help asap
My daughter disclosed to me that she was exposed to HIV. She denies that he has been tested for HIV. He also is not high risk. She told me ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.