Skip to content
i think i might have infected myself...
boomjay posted:
Back on Feb 7th this year, I had an encounter with a female CSW in a SE Asian country. I picked her up from a nightclub and we went to my hotel. I received unprotected oral for 5 minutes or so, then I donned a condom and rubbed water based lube onto my penis. I entered her vagina from behind. After a couple of minutes I reached down to check the condom was intact and received a smear of blood on my hand - I washed it off quickly under the tap and went back to finish off, with the condom still on. I did not notice any smear of blood on the condom while in the bathroom. After finishing , I went to remove the condom in the bathroom. It was intact, but as I was removing it, I clumsily managed to press the outer exposed surface of the condom onto the rim of my glans and the skin behind it (I am circumcised). I don't think it had any contact with my urethra. I quickly washed the area thoroughly with hot water and shampoo. [br>About 6 days after this, I developed a flu like feeling. Not really a fever as such, but I felt weak, slightly dizzy and felt general muscle aches for the whole day. There was also a mild bout of diarrhea. I felt better the next day, but started to wonder if this was a manifestation of so-called ARS. I have read your forums and while it seems I have not had a particularly dangerous exposure, I am filled with doubt. And I've become a nervous wreck. I should go and test to find out, but I'm terrified. [br>Symtoms developed since then include a persistent sinus inflamation started about a month after the exposure. I've also had what seems to be swollen lymph nodes in my groin and under my arm - not really a lot bigger than normal, but definitely tender. I also found a crack due to athlete's foot between the 2nd and 3rd toe on my right foot - another thing that has not happened before — healed up now thankfully. I would like to know what my risks for infection were? I'm really concerned by that strange flu-like feeling at 6 days post exposure...not a good sign.

georgiagail responded:
We do not attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms but ARS has flu like symptoms that last about two weeks, not a day or so.

If you remain concerned, take an HIV screening test. You are past the 90 day mark from this event and thus your results will certainly be accurate in terms of your status.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.