Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
scared and curious
gregthemsft posted:
Hi , I had about a minute of vaginal sex with a girl who im almost certain has hiv, Ive been a wreck, I suffer from anxiety and panic disorder and I have an appointment later in the week because I must say this is the most traumatizing experience Ive ever been through, and the panic attacks are becoming much more frequent when at once they were actually going away, but anyway back to my purpose, Im very afraid despite the fact that ive had 4 negative tests, they were oral fluids tests, two at 10 weeks after exposure, 1 at the 3 month mark, and another at 5 months. My counselor has explained to me that when negative these tests are pretty much well over 99 percent accurate, and my odds of catching hiv as a straight man AT ALL are somewhat slim, let alone from one time for one moment, but My questions are, 1. Are these tests dependable because I want to try to conceive with my gf, and a blood test isnt a option because im afraid and Even SHE says im over reacting, and 2. How did they evaluate these tests to prove the accuracy?, thanks! God BLess!!!

georgiagail responded:
Let's be honest here. Your "risk" involved all of one minute of unprotected vaginal intercourse with someone you're "almost" certain is HIV positive but has no actual knowledge of their status.

Considering the statistics we use for estimated risk from unprotected insertive penile-vaginal intercourse with someone KNOWN to carry the virus are 5 per 10,000 exposures (and this is assuming the act is carried to completion), your chances of becoming infected even IF this person was HIV positive from one minute of contact with her vaginal fluids is about as likely as being hit by a flying penguin while walking down the street in the middle of summer.

Yes, these tests are dependable and yes they've been thoroughly evaluated to be so; however, whatever I write isn't likely going to help ease the concerns of someone so worried about a one minute exposure to vaginal fluids.

Your odds of catching HIV from this person aren't "somewhat slim". They are zero. Nonexistent. Not there. Testing has proven your HIV negative status. Focus on this and move on with your life.

Gail

gregthemsft replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks so much! I do feel much better because everything you are saying is comfirmation of what other smart people have told me! Do you think a blood test would give a different result? Because there was a guy on the poz website who tested all the way out to 5 months just like me negative on oral fluids and no sooner did he take a blood test he was poz, and that scares the living junk out of me

georgiagail replied to gregthemsft's response:
There is no need for further testing. You are HIV negative.

If you mean the young man we were discussing yesterday on this site please understand that he has full blown AIDS when diagnosed. His initial infection took place quite a while ago and when he began testing his immune system had already been so damaged by the virus it was unable to produce enough antibodies to be picked up by oral testing. THIS IS NOT THE CASE WITH YOU. Your risk was never there in the first place.

Go and live your life and stop worrying about all of this.

Gail

thanks so much Ms. Gail, bless you, so my last question is, I know nothing is 100 percent certain but would it be safe to continue sex with my girlfriend?

In your case, I am 100 percent certain that it is perfectly safe for you to continue unprotected sexual contact with your girlfriend. There is no way on this earth that you can transmit HIV to her from your experience since there is no way on earth it left you HIV positive.

I'd suggest Gail is a very nice name for a baby girl (since you are interested in trying for a baby with the girlfriend) but I don't care all that much for my name...so pick a nicer one.

Gail

THanks!! lol ill consider. Not a bad consideration it would remind me of how you helped me during a tough time, not to sound frank at all because I have no doubt in your knowledge on HIV but may I ask how are you so smart with this stuff??? lol, LAST QUESTION I PROMISE

I've worked with HIV positive patients for a long time in the medical field.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.