Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Oral sex
An_257474 posted:
Hi gail, One question i know you said before that there is only a 0.5 to 1% out 10,000 chance that you can get HIV through oral sex. What if the person got cummed on the mouth are the chances still the same of getting infected by HIV or STDs? I hope to hear from you soon.

georgiagail responded:
The estimated risks we use here assume that the sexual act was carried to completion; i.e., that ejaculation (in the case of performing sex on a male) took place.

And the estimated risk for HIV transmission from unprotected oral sex is .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures (not 1%) with a source KNOWN to carry the virus. For many who post here the risk is less since they are unaware of their partners status.

Gail

teej080910 replied to georgiagail's response:
so its 1 out of 10,000 persons? i'm sorry gail i don't get the percentage. Can you explain it further?

georgiagail replied to teej080910's response:
The statistics we use here for estimated risk from unprotected oral sex are .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Again, for most who perform (or receive) oral sex and who worry about HIV their risk tends to be less than these very, very small percentages because they cannot even confirm that their partners are infected with the virus in the first place.

Simply swallowing sexual fluids that contain the virus would not infect a person. Transmission can only occur by the virus being able to ENTER body tissues. This means the person performing the oral sex would need to have an open (i.e., bleeding) cut, wound, tear, lesion, etc. in their mouth/oral cavity at the time they were performing the oral sex. Simply swallowing the sexual fluids containing the virus and this virus would be destroyed by the very acidic content of stomach fluids.

I hope this makes sense.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.