Skip to content
Questions about Oraquick oral test vs. rapid blood
freakingout posted:
I recently went to planned parenthood to get an Std test and HIV screening. Mostly for peace of mind as I was stupid at a wedding almost 5 weeks ago and had unprotected sex with someone who I do not know. The rapid blood test came back reactive and I am just beside myself with worry. They sent a blood sample off to their lab and I will know back in 6 days. I bought an oraquick oral swab which came back negative. I realize the window period is 3 months post exposure. But the lady at planned parenthood said that the 5 weeks incident wouldn't show up that soon and that it had be an exposure more than 4 months ago. Which absolutely doesn't make sense. I was tested when I got pregnant in Aug 2012 which came back negative and the 5 weeks ago incident was the new unprotected partner I have had. I know the rapid has a higher incidence of false positives but can't find anything that gives me peace of mind.

I would like a more educated opinion. Should I just accept the fate? Are false positives common enough that I should chill out?

georgiagail responded:
Please stop being beside yourself with worry.

There are cases of "false positive" test results. These occur when antibodies that RESEMBLE those connected with HIV...but are not...give the "reactive" result.

ANY positive test result needs to be followed up with a second test known as a Western Blot. If the Western Blot comes back negative, the first test is considered to be a "false positive" and HIV is ruled out. If the Western Blot also returns as a "reactive" the diagnosis of HIV positive is then made.

The lady at Planned Parenthood is also incorrect in what she told told you. Up to 95 percent of newly infected folks will have a "reactive" (i.e., postive) test result within 1 month of testing. So yes, someone could certainly test positive at 5 weeks post transmission.

It is hoped that this is NOT the case with you and that the Western Blot will come back as negative. Please let us know your results from this, OK?

Gail

freakingout replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you for your quick response! The lab called me the next day telling me my results were non reactive. I am relieved. I feel they should not market the rapid blood tests as "just as accurate" as a standard blood test but hey that's just me.

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.