Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HIV SCARE AND NEW PREGNANCY
crynomore_ posted:
I need some reassurance and advice. I got with my partner back in March. He was newly out of a relationship. I always ask std status and in Feb he showed me he tested negative for HIV. We had one pull out method encounter early march and the next day I had vag discharge, turned out to be chlamydia. We were both shocked. But apparently they had sex after they broke up and after all his testing in late feb. And she was cheating on him during their 2 year relationship. I got treated and was neg for all stds in early May when I got retested for the chlamydia and full std screen. Our last (protected) encounter was May 25th. Went to the ER on June 6th per my PCP request for abd. pain. Found out I was in early pregnant (I don't want the baby). On June 10th my partner crys to me and says his ex called and she's HIV positive. That same day we took oraquick (he hasn't had sex with her for about 3 months and at this point I hasn't had sex with him for 17 days or so) he got a faint line, mine was negative. We got blood work the next day mine was negative later that day I got the results. His didn't come until next day and he was tested positive from a walk in clinic. His PCP had him do another blood draw and has an apt for Monday for I think the western blot.

I am scared out of my mind. It was only 18 days when my blood tests came back negative from my last (protected) encounter and 3months from last unprotected encounter. and I'm thinking if he is confirmed HIV+ on Monday then- since I got pregnant with protected sex then I SURELY got HIV as well and haven't gave it enough time to show in my blood work.

georgiagail responded:
Relax. Your last unprotected encounter with him was 3 months ago, correct? Your test results are accurate as to your status. A test done at least 3 months from a potential exposure is considered to 99.99 percent accurate.

Your 18 day encounter with him was PROTECTED and assuming the condom was used accurately and did not break or tear the virus cannot cross an intact latex condom.

Or...when you described "protected" do you mean other than condom use? Please explain.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.