Skip to content
scared and anxious and looking for answers
An_257684 posted:
Ok here's my story. I messed around with a guy who's status is unknown. He rubbed the head of his penis on my vaginal opening and vulva but we didn't have sex because he had no condom. I took the oraquick test at 116 days and it came back negative. I've read in certain cases it can take 6mnths to show true results though. Should I still be worried to the point of panic attacks or can I rest assured in these results? Please respond

georgiagail responded:
You can "rest assured" regarding these results.

Gail

An_257684 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you so very much for replying. When I read up to six months my anxiety levels hit the roof. If I may ask do you know why someone would take six months to develop antibodies when others only take three. And I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. Thank you again for taking time.

georgiagail replied to An_257684's response:
It's not a stupid question at all.

HIV screening tests don't check for the presence of the actual virus.

These screening tests check for antibodies the immune system begins to crank out after transmission has taken place. How quickly this occurs depends on the strength and health of the immune system.

By three months (90 days) post transmission 99.99 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present to be picked up by current testing methods (including the Oraquick test).

The very, very small percentage of folks who need to wait for six month testing would be those whose immune systems have already been damaged by other, more serious medical issues. These might be folks who have very recently undergone chemotherapy (for example) or someone who has had an organ transplant and is on immune suppressing medication to prevent their own immune system from rejecting this organ. In both these cases it might take their immune systems a bit longer to produce enough antibodies to be picked up by current testing methods.

If you don't fall into these categories, your immune system is just fine and dandy...which means you can trust your results. IF this event had left you infected (and really, all you engaged in was "frottage" which is not considered a risk for HIV) then a 116 day screening test would certainly have come back as "reactive"...or positive.

I hope this makes sense...

Gail

An_257684 replied to georgiagail's response:
It makes perfect sense. Thank you. The reason I was nervous is my immune system sucks. Nothing diagnosed just being honest. Sometimes it seems like someone could sneeze two miles away and I catch their cold. But my immune system hasn't been compromised so you've really helped ease that fear...again thank you

dskman replied to An_257684's response:
You should look into hypogammaglobulinemia. Not saying you have it, but looking into it can't hurt.

georgiagail replied to dskman's response:
The original OP's immune system actually doesn't "suck". The fact that it responds when it comes into contact with the cold virus by having the owner show symptoms of such (miserable though they may be) actually means it's responding perfectly to an outside agent infecting the body.

In other words, when one gets a fever from an infection (for example), it's actually the immune system trying to fight the infection by raising the temperature since more viruses/bacterial agents can only survive within a very small temperature range.

And no, the OP doesn't have hypogammaglobulinemia (and neither do you if you believe this is why all your HIV tests have been negative so far). Again, frottage is not considered a risk for HIV transmission and your risk from oral sex is so low is to just about to be off the charts.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.