Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Freaking out
dazedandconfused101 posted:
Hi Gail,

I am a college student and throughout the course of last year, I had unprotected vaginal sex with 4 men. The last guy I had sex with was in March (4 months ago). About a week ago, my neck became a bit swollen and my throat a bit itchy. I also haven't really had a appetite as of late. I recently got prescribed Anxiety meds because I drive myself crazy thinking I have all these different diseases, but I don't know what else could be the cause of my swollen neck and loss of appetite.

I took 2 at home OraQuick tests and they both came out negative, but I am still experiencing these symptoms so I'm not sure how accurate they could be. I also contacted the 4 men and they all said that they felt fine and have been tested since we had intercourse and were negative, but idk, they could be lying???

Any tips you could give to help me out?

Thanks so much

georgiagail responded:
The recommended time period for testing is 3 months after a potential encounter.

I'm going to assume your two OraQuick tests took place after this time period, correct?

If so, they are both accurate results in terms of your HIV status.

Your swollen neck and itchy throat has nothing to do with HIV. ARS, the first stage of HIV occurs two to six weeks after transmission, not four months later. You could simply be coming down with a summer cold or a whole host of other things but HIV ain't one of them.

Gail

dazedandconfused101 replied to georgiagail's response:
Yes it has been about 4 months since a potential encounter, and both tests came out negative.

I'm also nervous about my stomach, I used to have a hearty appetite and now I don't even find myself hungry and have to force myself to eat. This could be because of my anxiety, I guess.

There is no way symptoms can come about 4 months after possible exposure? I don't really ever get sick and I've had this small swelling for about a week.....

Thank you so very much

georgiagail replied to dazedandconfused101's response:
Yes; your appetite is poor because of anxiety. Heck, you worry about diseases so much you stated you've had to be put on anti-Anxiety medication.

People get colds in the summertime. That's not unusual.

If you have trouble believing the tests, go to a physician and ask for a HIV test using a blood sample. The results will be exactly the same (i.e., negative) but perhaps these results will convince you of your negative status and help with this anxiety.

Gail

Trusting you and praying you're right!
Thank you for your help at putting my mind at ease

Gail,

Sorry to be annoying!
But you 100% believe that by taking 2 OraQuick tests accurately after 4 months that I cannot have HIV?

I just don't understand why these symptoms have occurred out of the blue especially since I'm rarely sick.

I usually have such a hearty appetite and now I don't ever feel hunger pains or when I eat, I never feel full. It's like my stomach is turned off.

My neck does feel a bit better which is comforting, but of course I'm still freaking out.

I am sure you are used to crazy people like myself so I apologize for that, it's just a scary thought!

Theresa

georgiagail replied to dazedandconfused101's response:
Yes, I am 100 percent sure.

The problem is, you aren't. And won't be, not for long, no matter what I tell you. We could go 'round and 'round about this for days or weeks at a time.

Go get a blood test. Or perhaps some therapy to help you get over this. Both would be far more beneficial than what an internet forum can provide.

Gail

You're right, thanks for your words of encouragement, it is truly appreciated

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.