Skip to content
Question about testing accuracy and my situation
cpd123 posted:
Hello,

I had sex in which I was the recipient of anal sex. I also had oral. Oral was protected until the last minute, then he finished giving me oral. The anal was protected at first, but I am not sure if it was the whole time.

I went and was tested at 2 weeks post exposure.It was a rapid test and was negative. I was tested again at 4 wks (26 days) post exposure with an Antibody (3rd gen) and an RNA. Both were negative.

I am still very concerned about this. Should I feel somewhat comfortable or reliable with those results and the tests? I am going to get tested again at 5 and/ or 6 weeks. Would those be ones that I should feel good and reliable with?

I realize 3 months would be ideal, but I cannot wait that long. I have read that antibdy tests at 28 days are fairly reliable and that the RNA test at about 2-3 weeks is also. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

georgiagail responded:
Oral sex carries an extremely low risk of HIV transmission. Think along the lines of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source known to carry the virus.

Protected anal intercourse is, indeed protected assuming a condom was used and used accurately. The virus cannot cross an intact latex condom.

If you remain concerned the recommended time for testing continues to be 3 months.

Gail

cpd123 replied to georgiagail's response:
I do still feel concerned.

I am going to test at 3 months, but with the ones I have taken being negative and their windows, should I be very worried?

I cannot say for sure the condom was used the whole time...

georgiagail replied to cpd123's response:
A test done at 4 weeks after a potential exposure is considered to be 95 percent accurate.

By 3 months this has increased to 99.99 percent.

The odds remain very much in your favor toward a negative status.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Rashes from below
My biggest concern ever while having a girl in bed is hoping my rash doesn't show. At one point my own penis is cock blocking me by having ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.