Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Oral sex risk
justscared26 posted:
Hey Gail

So a little over 6 weeks ago I gave oral sex to a guy who said he was negative. I was fine with it and I did it but after doing it I freaked out and have been stressed ever since. He did ejaculate in my mouth but I spit it out. Held it in fir a little bit. I know it has a small risk but I know I have like an irritated spot on my gum that will bleed sometimes. But I have had diarrhea for weeks not. Not everyday but it will come and go. I had at first like 2 sores pop up in my moth but I believe this is all from stress a and anxiety. Can you please let me know if constant diarrhea being the only main symptom could be cause by HIV?

georgiagail responded:
We do not attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms.

Oral sex, in itself, carries an extremely small risk of HIV transmission. The statistics we use in terms of risk from unprotected oral are .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus. Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm this persons status.

Your irritated spot on your gums would have to have been ACTIVELY bleeding at the time of the oral sex as well as him being HIV positive AND his sexual fluids coming in contact with this open wound in your mouth for there to be even a hint of a risk. Even swallowing sexual fluids from an HIV positive individual would not infect someone; the virus has to actually ENTER the body through an open cut, wound, damaged mucous membrane, etc. for transmission to take place.

Keep in mind that stress and "freaking out" can easily cause GI symptoms such as diarrhea. That's pretty common.

If you remain concerned about this, you can always consider taking a screening test. I wouldn't bother with it but you might wish to do this. If so, a test done four weeks after a potential exposure is considered to be 95 percent accurate; that is, 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present (that is what is tested for in screening) to be picked up by current testing methods. By three months, this level has increased to 99.99 percent. So, a six week test would fall somewhere in between these two levels. Many who worry about "symptoms" will often test at least several times because they cannot wait the recommended three month time period.

Gail

justscared26 replied to georgiagail's response:
But diarrhea alone with no other systems would that be anything to worry about? Or would other systems have to be there?

georgiagail replied to justscared26's response:
Sorry but again, we do not attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms.

ARS (the first stage of HIV) is described as "flu like" in nature. That can involve a wide range of symptoms.

Gail

justscared26 replied to georgiagail's response:
Ok thank you. One more question though. I know this is a symptom but is sinus drainage a symptom of hiv I have never seen it listed but I've been having it lately.

georgiagail replied to justscared26's response:
No.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coping With Anxiety & HIV Worry
Is HIV anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you finding yourself questioning every random act as an HIV risk? Don't let anxiety steal your ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.