Skip to content
Needle Stick Scratch
singhworried posted:
Hi Doctor, I having very high anxiety and stress due to the needle stick scratch on my hand.

I was recently shifted to Philippines .I was in shared room with 2 guys from US. One night I saw them while injecting the drugs and asked don't do that in room . unfortunately he was scratched my hand..it was turned to Redness and no bleeding.It is like paper cut, no blood came out

after 1 week of this incident I was searching internet if any infection of the injuring and find that it is cause HIV infection.

Day 8 , I got mild fever (37.1), sore throat & ear pains.
Day 9. No fever, sore throat , ear blockage, pain under ear jar & groin area
Day 10 to 14. No fever, pimples under neck, started muscles aches, continue ear blockage, pain under ear jar & groin area..

I do understand this puts me at great risk help me to deal with this situation.

georgiagail responded:
.HIV transmission by needle injection requires that the uninfected person come on contact with the blood from an HIV positive individual. This most commonly happens when folks share needles during HIV drug use and any blood remaining in the syringe can be directly injected into the uninfected drug user.

From your description a simple scratch where no blood was present (on your part) seems to have taken place. You have not indicated whether this individual is HIV positive nor whether the needle that scratched you contained blood that was then able to enter your body through this scratch.

We do not attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms. If you remain concerned you can always consider getting tested. The recommended time period for testing is 3 months after a potential exposure.

Gail

singhworried replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Doctor Gail, am not sure about their status. .but the guys are very active in sexual activities. .I shifted to another room now...am sure some liquid contained in the needle..the scratch immediately turned to redness. .no bleeding. .it think it is superficial scratch/small cut..but no bleeding. ..after 15 mins I came to real world and washed my hand...

Is the scratch will transfer any fluid in to my body/blood streams? ?

My own I haven't did any mistake here..am always thinking about my family. loosing my control. am having very stressful days now...

Now am having sore throat, stiff neck , pain under ears..but no visible enlarge swollen lumps. .pimples under neck ..no fever now..

am not sure that due to this heavy stress and anxiety cause of these symptoms...kindly help me ..if any test required here to know my status

georgiagail replied to singhworried's response:
"Is the scratch will transfer any fluid in to my body/blood streams? ?"

Depends on how deep this scratch is.

Of course the biggest factor in all of this is whether either one (or both) of your roommates are even HIV positive. Simply being sexually active drug users is no guarantee that they are.
Have you considered asking them their status or requesting that they get tested?

If not, you can consider getting an HIV screening test for yourself. Again, the recommended time period for testing after a potential exposure is 3 months.

Gail

I haven't asked their status .not sure they will tell correctly.

The scratch was superficial , no blood came out, it turned to redness, 3 or 4 small patches ..I applied antibiotic and it healed in 2 days completely.

So as per your replies I can consider my self as in risk and need to wait for 3 months to know my condition. OMG please help..

are these symptoms are related to ARS???

The symptoms of ARS are described as "flu like" in nature; things like headache, fatigue, swollen lymph nodes.

Amazingly, many who read these symptoms on the internet and now worry they are positive suddenly develop these "symptoms" only to test negative later on.

Sorry but the recommended time period for accurate testing is 3 months down the road.

If you test at one month, the results will be considered to be 95 percent accurate; that is, up to 95 percent of newly infected folks will have enough antibodies present by one month post transmission to come back with a positive test result.

Lots of folks worried about all of this will test at one month, then retest at three.

Gail

Hi Doctor,

Today is 21st day after that incident, now I don't have any physical symptoms apart from high anxiety. I have taken the following test and waiting for the results.

Test : SEROLOGY HIV 1 & 2 (Quali)
Method : Immunochromatography

i) Is this test results gives me any hope doctor?
ii) If my 2 week symptoms are related to ARS, Is this test will pick-up the result?
iii) Currently I am using medications for high BP & fatty lever, any medicines will cause of delay in the results?.

iv) In the lab they offered this screening test only? Is this test is 3rd generation?

Please help me doctor, my anxiety is killing me very badly.

1. While not conclusive (if negative) the test results should give you a good idea of your status.
2. See number 1
3. No
4. I have no idea what generation test your lab offers. Doesn't really matter; all screening tests will produce accurate results if there are enough antibodies present to be picked up by these tests.

Gail

P.S. You don't have to call be doctor. Just call me Gail.

Thanks GOD..the result turned to NONREACTIVE.

Thanks Sir Gail for your support. I can hope this result will continue rt?.. I will test after 6 weeks again..

All the symptoms at 2week are due to stress?

Sounds like you've off to a very good start...

"All the symptoms at 2week are due to stress? "

Likely so. When folks worry about HIV they often can't sleep, can't eat and drive themselves ill over worrying about all of this. And if they start reading about "symptoms" on the internet....whew! stand back!...they've just about diagnosed themselves as being HIV positive.

Gail

Gail, Since last 3 days I am having neck pain and observed small lymph nodes back of neck under the skin. Today I visited the doctor and she confirmed that hard lymph nodes in occipital and posterior cervical nodes.

I am having ear ringings since last 3 weeks, no sure due to this the hard lymph nodes in occipital.

I read in Google, says occipital and posterior cervical lymph nodes usually point to HIV infection.

I'm scared cuz that's first signs of hiv.?? I dont have night sweats, flu, rash, fever now..

Please help me

singhworried replied to singhworried's response:
Hi sir Gail, Plz help on my issues???

Once again, we do not attempt to diagnose HIV by "symptoms". Only by testing.

Your 21 day test was a good start in terms of showing your negative status.

Get off the internet and stop reading about HIV "symptoms" and trying to diagnose yourself. You'll only drive yourself crazy while you're waiting for the final testing.

Gail

Hi Gail, I am getting so much of stress due to this lymph nodes. I got the mild fever ( 37.1) as well. We have hiv rna test here. .can I proceed to know the status at 28 day ???

singhworried replied to singhworried's response:
Hi sir, kindly help me on my question. ..plz

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.