Skip to content
do I have HIV?
An_258245 posted:
I slept with a prostitute in South Africa without a condom a few days ago. I know I am an idiot. There was also oral sex both ways. What are the chances that I contracted HIV and is there anything I can about it?

georgiagail responded:
This all depends, of course, on whether the prostitute is HIV positive.

When you say you "slept" with her without a condom, I'm going to assume we're talking about vaginal intercourse here, correct?

Unprotected insertive (that's you) penile-vaginal intercourse carries an ESTIMATED risk of 5 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Oral sex (both giving and receiving) carries an extremely low risk of transmission. We're talking about (for unprotected) an ESTIMATED risk of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures, again with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

If you do not know this persons status, the risk statistically lessens.

What you do is get tested at 3 months to learn your status and if these events did leave you infected, go from there.

Good luck and let us know your results, OK?

Gail

stteve replied to georgiagail's response:
should I take post-exposure prophylaxis?

georgiagail replied to stteve's response:
PEP needs to be initiated within 72 hours of a possible exposure.

Gail

stteve responded:
Is there anything else I can do?

Can you contact your partner and request that she be tested to determine her status? If negative she cannot, of course, pass the virus onto you.

If you cannot contact her, make certain that you use a condom during any further sexual activity until you are able to undergo testing yourself.

Many who cannot wait the three month time period will test at one month then retest at three months.

Keep in mind that the odds are very much in favor that this event did not leave you infected.

Gail

Is there any use in getting tested earlier? Say, if I go tomorrow and get tested? Or is it just to ease my mind and really means nothing because HIV would not have shown up yet.

PCR and antigen testing are used for early testing (as in blood donations). They have a shorter window periods for testing and not all labs can do these. They also can be fairly expensive tests.

If used for early testing, the recommendation is to follow up with the antibody tests down the road.

Attached is a good article describing various testing methods:

http://www.avert.org/hiv-testing.htm

I hope this makes sense...

Gail

I was blood tested on Tuesday (6-7 days after incident) and it came back negative. Dr said to get tested again in a month and then again in 3 months. Does this negative impact the chances of me testing negatively in the future?

If this was an antibody screening test, no.

The standard screening test does not check for the presence of the virus but rather for antibodies that the immune system begins to produce once transmission has taken place.

While up to 95 percent of newly infected folks will test "non reactive " (negative) by one month post a potential exposure, a 6-7 day test does not, unfortunately, guarantee anything. One may, in truth be infected but there may not be enough antibodies present to be picked by the test. Thus the results would be a "false negative".

However, keep in mind the statsI posted previously in terms of risk from these events. The odds always remain very much in your favor that this did not leave you infected.

Keep us informed of your test results, OK?

Gail

An_258343 replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi Gail,

You are absolutely amazing. Anywhere people ask these questions I see your screen id pop up with a helpful and comforting answer. I like many many others decided to ask you for an opinion as well please.

I am 25 and between the age of 16-20 I had sex with 5 prostitutes. 1 in Vietnam and 4 in India. I have ALWAYS worn a condom in such instances. There was penetrative vaginal intercourse. In India they sometimes 'double bagged' the condoms. Sex lasted no more than 5 minutes.

I was then in a commited relationship for 3 years and had unprotected sex through some of it. After we broke up I had sex with a girl that I met at a bar and did not know her status. This was the only time I had unprotected sex with a stranger 2 times.

I have since been dating someone else for the last 2 1/2 years and out of respect for her wishes, we have not had sex till date (she is a virgin).

I have therefore been abstaining for 2 1/2 years myself. I have always been a bit of a hypochondriac and have worried about HIV due to my intercourse with the sex workers and also my unprotected sex with the girl from the bar. I am a bit of a hypochondriac.

Yesterday I decided to finally man up ( after reading a bunch of your replies) and i went to my local Walgreens and took the Oraquick in home test.

After 20 minutes it had ONE line at C and no other lines at all. I believe if your positive you get 2 lines. I checked in every 3 minutes till the 40 minute mark and found there was no other line at all. Just one line at C which was solid half way through and then slightly faint towards the other half.

I realize that I have made mistakes in the past and have never ever indulged in such activities and never plan to do so. However I wanted to check with you, is the HIV Negative conclusive? Should I still get/need a blood test? I swabbed my gums once on top once on the bottom and put it in the fluid to wait for my result which said it was Negative.

Is this pretty much conclusive? Also I have put on weight over the last 3 years, feel healthy and have been on medication for GERD if that helps. I would really really really appreciate it if you could kindly share your valuable opinion.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

georgiagail replied to An_258343's response:
Your test is conclusive in terms of a negative status. The C line in the Oraquick test is the Control line. It is meant to show up on the results to prove that the test is still good and thus still working.

It's the other line that one needs to worry about. If you had antibodies (meaning you were HIV positive) this line would have shown up. The fact that it didn't means no antibodies were present; thus, no HIV.

There is no need for further blood tests unless you wish to do so because you have difficulty accepting these results or how you did the test. However, the Oraquick test is FDA approved and really is designed to be easy to use.

Gail

rclancette replied to georgiagail's response:
just to clarify... 72 hours is the maximum. PEP will likely have no effect at all after that. BUT PEP needs to be initiated ASAP! Odds of failure increase drastically with time. Many ERs won't even offer/provide PEP after much more than a day.

Helpful Tips

Help asap
My daughter disclosed to me that she was exposed to HIV. She denies that he has been tested for HIV. He also is not high risk. She told me ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.