Skip to content
Freaking out still
dazedandconfused101 posted:
Hi Gail, it's me again...

I'm still somewhat freaking out with my whole HIV scare.
There's no way symptoms can come about 4 months later?
Because I still have this little swelling in my neck and no appetite.
And just don't know what else it could be.

I made the guy take the Oraquick test, too, and he sent me a picture of his negative test result. However I am still unsure! Idk what my symptoms could be otherwise related to! and I can't get this HIV scare out of my head, it's all I think about now.

I apologize for my obsessiveness!

georgiagail responded:
You are correct; ARS would not occur four months later. Especially in someone whose partner has sent them a picture of their negative status! The guy doesn't have HIV. He can't give you a virus he doesn't have. It's simply not logical to think that he can.

Look; this doesn't mean you won't EVER get sick for the rest of your life. It just means that if you get the flu or a cold or a headache or loss of appetite HIV won't be the cause of this.

Although I suspect that anxiety and/or OCD plays a great role in your loss of appetite.

Gail

dazedandconfused101 replied to georgiagail's response:
I guess I am just doubting the reliability of the OraQuick test. and of course I see online the first sign of HIV is swollen lymph nodes. that's pretty much the only symptom I've had, but it's still extremely scary to think about.

I just don't know what else could be wrong with me because I don't really feel sick, it's just my neck

georgiagail replied to dazedandconfused101's response:
Have you asked yourself how a partner with a negative HIV test result could infect you with a virus he does not have?

Have you again considered some counseling to help you get over this fear of a disease that you do not have?

Gail

I guess I am just doubting the accuracy of the OraQuick at home test. Thinking my 2 negatives and his 1 negative could all be wrong.

I just don't understand why I am experiencing these symptoms still

Folks can get swollen lymph nodes for a whole bunch of reasons, including the fact that if one pokes at these they tend to swell.

Lymph nodes in the neck are near the surface of the skin. We don't pay attention to them until we read about them being swollen in HIV. Then when we feel them we can freak out and worry about them being swollen.

I can feel mine right now and I don't have HIV.

Gail

So you totally believe in the OraQuick at home test 3 months post exposure? That my 2 negatives and his 1 negative can't all be wrong? My only problem is doubting the OraQuick test, I suppose. And being confused about my neck and appetite

"So you totally believe in the OraQuick at home test 3 months post exposure? " Yes "That my 2 negatives and his 1 negative can't all be wrong? Correct " My only problem is doubting the OraQuick test, I suppose." So go get a blood test if you doubt the OraQuick testing method.
Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.