Skip to content
Chances of me having HIV
stefan1213 posted:
Hi all.
I am new here and just wanted to get somethings clarified. i'm literally freaking out now cause i think they i have HIV.

1week ago, i had sex(protected) with a prostitute. Right after that day, i have been experiencing itch all over my body particularly my groin area. i went to get it check and the doctor said it was a fungal infection in my groin. he gave me a cream to apply and as of now the itch is gone. however now i am having a very bad flu and sore throat and my body aches like crazy. now i also feel as though the lymph nodes under my chin area are starting to swell up. i'm just freaking out and want to know if i have contracted HIV or am i just over thinking and am just experiencing a common cold?

georgiagail responded:
Protected intercourse is, indeed, protected assuming the condom was used accurately and did not break or tear.

If you used the condom accurately...and even assuming your partner was HIV positive....the virus cannot cross an intact latex condom.

Gail

stefan1213 replied to georgiagail's response:
So i'm just over thinking what i am having now and the chances of me getting it is low right?

and yes the condom was used properly and i'm sure it didnt tear

georgiagail replied to stefan1213's response:
If the condom was used accurately and did not tear, the risk is not low; it is zero. Again, the virus cannot cross an intact latex condom (I am going to assume that your partner was HIV positive).

Thus, whatever is causing your symptoms has nothing to do with HIV.

Gail

Thank you so much Gail. This means a lot to me. Just asking do you have any methods of sleeping with a flu? I've been trying so hard to have a decent sleep but I can't because of this flu

georgiagail replied to stefan1213's response:
Many of the over the counter cold and flu liquids have ingredients that can make you drowsy. Some of these still contain a fair amount of alcohol that can "knock you out" to allow you to sleep.

When I was a kid with a cold my parents used to give us a "hot toddy" before bedtime; two teaspoons of whiskey in a glass, some warm water, some sugar (or honey) and a teaspoon of lemon juice.

Now they'd probably be arrested for giving us alcohol but boy, that sure helped us sleep when we had a cold!

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.