Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Possible Exposure/False Negative OraQuick Tests
An_258413 posted:
I had a potential HIV exposure in January 2014. My partner said they are negative but I have some reason to doubt their statement because of their past and possible exposure.

I have taken three OraQuick at home tests this month (July 2014) and all have come back, thankfully, negative.

My reason for concern is that about 2-3 weeks after potential exposure I did come down with a short sickness (fever, headaches, sore throat) and suffered a short and unknown caused rash on my face within the past two weeks (late July 2014), but there is a high chance that it could have been caused by allergies and sensitive skin and stress.

My questions is-do I have cause for worry still? I have taken all three tests accurately following all directions.
With the third test, I drink drink just a little under an hour and a half before I swabbed and did not feel thirsty when I used the test. (yes I know the directions state 30 mins, just not being thirsty made me wonder if a false negative could be caused).

I'm sorry for the slight confusion in my writing, but I'm just trying to calm my anxiety and get some advice from the community and figure out what to do from here.
Thank you for your help.

georgiagail responded:
A screening test taken at least three months after a possible exposure is considered to be both "definitive" and "conclusive" in terms of ones status.

That's fancy language for saying believe the results.

You've taken three tests. All three have come back with negative results.

You're HIV negative. What you do from here is accept these results, celebrate (I'd suggest chocolate!), put your worries behind you and get on with your life.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.