Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help with hiv question. cdc is??
Claymanic posted:
Seasons greetings to everybody. The cdc says that they did an experiment saying hiv can live for several hours. What does several mean? I work with hiv patients at a volenteer service and were were gift wrapping. One of my friends who has hiv had cut himself on a pair of scissors earlier (about 3 hours) well. I don't know if it was the same pair but we only hav about 4 so if it was (and I think it was). Would this be a risk of catching hiv. I called the cdc and they said to get tested to be sure since I was exposed to hiv blood (or may have been). Now I am sick with worry and I am thinking I will no longer volenteer my time. Also I don't want to go to the clinic to get tested becuase I know many of the people working there so I may just buy a test at doctors office. Well that is what I am asking. Is the cdc information accurate and should I test. I would like to add that when i cut myself there was NO blood it was only a surface prick/stab. I mentioned this to cdc but they said any break in skin could be risk. I sthis also true? Thanks again if anybody knows answer.

Scott912 responded:
I couldn't find the specific experiment you are referring to - can you post the link to it? I did find this on the CDC website:

www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/qa35.htm

Scientists and medical authorities agree that HIV does not survive well outside the body, making the possibility of environmental transmission remote.

HIV is found in varying concentrations or amounts in blood, semen, vaginal fluid, breast milk, saliva, and tears. To obtain data on the survival of HIV, laboratory studies have required the use of artificially high concentrations of laboratory-grown virus. Although these unnatural concentrations of HIV can be kept alive for days or even weeks under precisely controlled and limited laboratory conditions, CDC studies have shown that drying of even these high concentrations of HIV reduces the amount of infectious virus by 90 to 99 percent within several hours. Since the HIV concentrations used in laboratory studies are much higher than those actually found in blood or other specimens, drying of HIV-infected human blood or other body fluids reduces the theoretical risk of environmental transmission to that which has been observed - essentially zero. Incorrect interpretations of conclusions drawn from laboratory studies have in some instances caused unnecessary alarm.

Results from laboratory studies should not be used to assess specific personal risk of infection because (1) the amount of virus studied is not found in human specimens or elsewhere in nature, and (2) no one has been identified as infected with HIV due to contact with an environmental surface. Additionally, HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

Georgiagail responded:
HIV lives outside of the body just as long as the medium it is in (i.e., blood or sexual fluids) remains liquid. Once dried, the virus dies.

Thus, blood on a scissors used by an HIV positive person who cut themselves on these three hours previously would be long dried and any virus dead.

In addition, one does not pick up HIV simply by handling blood from an HIV positive individual. You could dip your hands in such blood and unless YOU had an open (i.e, think bleeding) wound on your hand, transmission would still be impossible. The virus cannot cross intact skin.

If HIV were that easy to pass on, we'd all be infected with it.

Quite frankly, the CDC is either being super extra unrealistically cautious or you caught them right after they had their Christmas party with spiked punch.

Gail

rachell21skeith responded:
The best way to get tested for HIV is through a confidential STD testing service at Local STD Testing Clinics. This type of service provides an easy and confidential way to find out your HIV infection status. At Local STD Testing Clinics you can get the information you need without the embarrassment of having to discuss an extremely personal issue with someone who you have to deal with in other capacities. The fact that the testing and consultation is completely confidential means that you can relax and ask the questions that you need answered without embarrassment. You can also rely on the caring and highly trained counselors to answer those questions and provide advice in the event of a positive test result. The convenience of being able to get a same day appointment and quick, accurate results make this an extremely easy service to use!

stresstime replied to Georgiagail's response:
gail

is your post in conflict with the cdc report above that states that the hive virus is not infectous outside the host? i have posted elsewhere and was concerned about a sore on my penis after being masterbated by a sex worker after she had masterbated herself. just asking about clarifying your post re; the last paragraph from the cdc report.

thanks

georgiagail replied to stresstime's response:
The virus dies when the medium it is in (i.e., blood, sexual fluids) dries. Both of these body fluids dry very quickly outside of the body.

Gail

stresstime replied to georgiagail's response:
so it was possible for some of her vaginal fluid got into my sore and infected me, it the fluid on her hand or tissues was not dry?

georgiagail replied to stresstime's response:
No.

Gail

stresstime replied to georgiagail's response:
thanks. even if the medium was not dey?

stresstime replied to stresstime's response:
meant if the medium was dry, not dey

stresstime replied to stresstime's response:
lets try one more time. "even if the medium was NOT dry." when and got my endoscopy this morning. nothing found that would cause my stomach pain. ultra sound tomorrow.

Helpful Tips

Keep having Hope and faith, never give up and be positive
Hi, I would like to share my story. I've been HIV positive for 13 years and have been on MPWHerpes.com to meet my future husband. Well 24th ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.