Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

How worried should I be
Kenny_B posted:
In October I was diagnosed with HBP by my school's medical clinic, which is my primary care due to no insurance but my school's health insurance coverage. It runs in my family. My BP at the time, and at most of my doctor visits after usually ranged from 160-180/ 90-110, which is very high.

I continued to follow the prescription recommended by my doctor, and I have not been recently due to final exams and winter break, but recently I purchased a meter and the readings have been just as high, which has concerned my mother thinking I should go to an emergency room. In my visits to my doctor, that was never recommended, and I wasn't medicated at the office or anything.

Should I be more concerned and consider emergency care at some point? Again, I have no insurance (and have already a hefty bill because of tests that I wasn't aware were not covered by my plan), and my current plan is to try to maintain for the next 2 weeks until I'm back at school, and visit my physician.

I really just think my blood pressure is supposed to be high, hence the fact it wasn't considered an emergency by my own MD. I am black and overweight.

BillH99 responded:
The numbers that I have seen for hypertensive emergency vary, but seen to be about 210-220/110-120.

I really just think my blood pressure is supposed to be high, hence the fact it wasn't considered an emergency by my own MD. I am black and overweight.

No it was not meant to be that high. But there is a generic component and blacks are more likely to have high BP and they are more prone to early heart disease and strokes from the high BP.

So, while not an emergency it is some you need to work with your doctor to get is down.

And talk to your doctor about life style changes. Excess weight is one big cause. Exercise helps control BP and watch the diet, specially for high sodium and saturated fats. Which probably describes most students diets.

http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/blood-pressure-causes

Kenny_B replied to BillH99's response:
Thank you. I definitely plan on talking to him and trying to get it down more. The diagnosis just came at a very inopportune time where I couldn't really do much about it. When I am at the school, I have been eating more healthily as per the doctor's advice (less sodium, more potassium), and this semester I plan to lose at least 20 lbs if possible. My mother just really had me worried.

Helpful Tips

Student looking for Opinions
I am a student at Brown University in Providence, RI, USA doing a project on constant blood pressure monitoring. Instead of using a blood ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center