Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

When to immediatly seek medical emergency care
An_242456 posted:
I lost my health insurance, and stopped taking bp meds over a year ago. I am about 24 pounds overweight, but highly active, monitoring bp every other day, same time every day. Because of various stresses, it has been getting out of control. Took it a few minutes ago, 207/107. Will keep monitoring to see what happens. I do not smoke, or drink. Cholestoral level has always been on the very low side naturally. I am an active person, with no other health issues. Is there a guideline when to put down the monitor and seek emergency care?

BillH99 responded:
This is the best guideline that I can find.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Conditions_UCM_301782_Article.jsp#.TwTy8VbNlaw

In you are not having the symptoms listed you might want to look for an free/low cost clinic, urgent care, or a "doc in the box" like they have at some of the drug stores. Much less cost than an ER.

And get your script for the bp meds renewed. There are a number of generics that are available for $10/3 month supply. Walmart and many pharmacies have such programs.

Also work on the weight. That can be a big help.

And while you might not be able to reduce the causes of your stress there are ways to help control it's effects on you.

You can start with the book, The Relaxation Response, by Herbert Benson. It should be available at any library.

And if you have a trusted person, such as a minister, that you can confide that helps.

Other things that can help are things like Yoga. Look for a class at a community center.

Helpful Tips

garlic oil
I've started taking 2 "garlic oil perles" along with my regular meds (metoperol, lisinopril. nefedipine) and my pressure has dropped 25 ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center