Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    When to immediatly seek medical emergency care
    An_242456 posted:
    I lost my health insurance, and stopped taking bp meds over a year ago. I am about 24 pounds overweight, but highly active, monitoring bp every other day, same time every day. Because of various stresses, it has been getting out of control. Took it a few minutes ago, 207/107. Will keep monitoring to see what happens. I do not smoke, or drink. Cholestoral level has always been on the very low side naturally. I am an active person, with no other health issues. Is there a guideline when to put down the monitor and seek emergency care?
    BillH99 responded:
    This is the best guideline that I can find.

    In you are not having the symptoms listed you might want to look for an free/low cost clinic, urgent care, or a "doc in the box" like they have at some of the drug stores. Much less cost than an ER.

    And get your script for the bp meds renewed. There are a number of generics that are available for $10/3 month supply. Walmart and many pharmacies have such programs.

    Also work on the weight. That can be a big help.

    And while you might not be able to reduce the causes of your stress there are ways to help control it's effects on you.

    You can start with the book, The Relaxation Response, by Herbert Benson. It should be available at any library.

    And if you have a trusted person, such as a minister, that you can confide that helps.

    Other things that can help are things like Yoga. Look for a class at a community center.

    Helpful Tips

    3 reasons your iPhone is better than pen and paper for tracking blood pressure
    1. Reminders to help you never miss a reading! When you track your blood pressure (BP) with an App, it's always with you. You can ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center