Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Best to take blood pressure medication - in the morning or at night?
superben posted:
best to take blood pressure medicine in the morning or at
night?

billh99 responded:
Studies that shown that for most people taking at least one BP med at night is the best.

However, don't take a diuretic or a pill containing a diuretic and another BP med at night. That will keep you up going to the bathroom. If you aren't sure ask your pharmacist.

kochiyil responded:
night

Chakori replied to kochiyil's response:
Why please? I am prescribed meds to try to control hypertension and they have always been to take in the morning, and statins in the evening. This week my antihypertensives double and this is now the double quantity in the morning, though I would have thought it sensible to "spread the load"!

billh99 replied to Chakori's response:
The article gives the reasons for taking at least some of it at night.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/taking-blood-pressure-pills-at-bedtime-may-prevent-more-heart-attacks-strokes-201110253668

Helpful Tips

garlic oil
I've started taking 2 "garlic oil perles" along with my regular meds (metoperol, lisinopril. nefedipine) and my pressure has dropped 25 ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center