Blood Pressure HIGHER with my healthy diet and exercise???
BMac0123 posted:
My blood pressure has always been low or normal. I have been on a diet for three weeks now, where I'm eating only chicken, fish, turkey, fresh veggies, two fruits a day (none after 2pm), two yogurts (or acidophilus milk protein smoothies) and drinking only green tea or at least 64oz of water a day. I have lost 12lbs so far. I am also exercising 5-6 times a week, for 2-2.5 hours a day- which includes Zumba, cardio, and weights. I took my blood pressure today, and it was 148/85? I took it a second time and it was 140/80. What is going on? I am on medications- the only ones being Wellbutrin, tri sprintec, and Omeprazole. I have been on these for many months before this diet starting, and my blood pressure was normal then. What is going on?

BMac0123 responded:
By the way, I am a 25 year old female.

billh99 responded:
Hard to say.

I don't see any real reason for it.

But stress can cause it to rise. And in my case I have found that I can have stress that I don't recognize until I notice that my BP is high and then start "soul searching" to see what is going on in my life.

Maybe you are stressing too much about your diet. 4 lbs a week is a lot of weight to lose unless you are very over weight.

Maybe it is your whole body trying to re-adjust to these changes.

Maybe you have a sensitivity to something that you are eating.

While those BP readings are high and not healthy over a long time they are not alarmingly high.

Don't stress out over them and just make it higher.

But keep checking it every week or two for the next 6-8 weeks. If it stays high then talk to your doctor about it.

And in the meantime just chill out between the exercise sessions.