Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

trouble with lisinopril
petiebell posted:
Hi, I was diagnosed with htn in nov, 2011. my bp was 190/100. I was started on a low dose of lisinopril 10 mg because i am so sensitive to so many mediciations. about a month ago i started coughing (the infamous linisopril cough) but it was only occasional but over the last month it has gotten worse now i am coughing every day several times a day. Also my eyes feel funny and my ears are ringing which i know are all side effects of this med. my bp has come down and stays pretty much much in the normal range going up on occasion. i started splitting the pill taking 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the evening hoping it would help with the side effects but it didn't do much. i am also drinking hibiscus tea to help lower my bp along with the lisinopril. I have been feeling so crummy most of the time for the last week or so i am thinking about changing meds but i am afraid there are side effects with all of them. does anyone have any thoughts? sorry for the long post. it is my first time in the group. thanks p

billh99 responded:
It is hard to tell. Each person is different. It is best to work with your doctor that how you react to drugs and what other conditions that you might have.

This gives you some general background information of different classes of BP meds.

http://www.consumerreports.org/health/best-buy-drugs/high-blood-pressure.htm

I am surprised that small amount of lisinopril was able to reduce your BP from 190/100 to normal.

I wonder if you really had high blood pressure. You might have while coat hypertension or some situational thing that caused high BP.

The "official" definition of high BP requires measurements at 2 separate office visits.

And the British have gone with using a an ambulatory BP measurement that records your BP every 15-30 minutes for 24 hrs.

And have you tried lifestyle changes? Diet, losing weight if needed, and exercise.

petiebell replied to billh99's response:
my blood pressure was borderline for about 9 mo before it spiked. it spiked after i took a fall and hit my head and broke my ankle. when i saw my primary care md it was 160/90 in his office. i haven't been able to exercise due to my ankle, but now i am able to do pretty much anything. so i am planning on dieting and starting a walking program. it still goes up when i am stressed out, but for the most part it is within normal range. i thought maybe other people in the group had similar experience to share. i see my doctor on thursday will see what he says. thanks for your reply p

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to petiebell's response:
petiebell,

I'm glad your ankle is better! Here's a slide show with some tips to help you get back into exercise:

Lowering Blood Pressure with Exercise

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Tool to track your blood pressure
Hi, I have a friend who has high blood pressure as does pretty much his whole family. His doctor asks them to regularly take their bp and ... More
Was this Helpful?
46 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center