Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

High blood pressure
atalost1 posted:
Last night I came home from work with a very bad headache which I contributed to my job and the commute however, I have a family history of high blood pressure. I took my bp and it was 179/107 so I thought my machine wasn't working right, so I had my boyfriend take his and his was normal. After which I took 2 aleves and waited a couple of hours (headache was gone) and retook it which it was higher at 179/117. My head was feeling fuzzy and I had a strange sensation in my arms and legs. My boyfriend was talking to me but I couldn't understand what he was saying to me at first and it took a few times for me to figure it out. Do you know what caused this?

billh99 responded:
Possibly a TIA, a mini stroke.

That high of BP and the symptoms indicate that you should get this checked out with a doctor.

atalost1 replied to billh99's response:
I went to my dr yesterday and she informed me that my bp was dangerously high and put me on new meds however, I'm still stressed out at work and now my family is urging me to move to FL. Pressure is on and I don't know what to do. I have my own family here, children, grandchildren and my job isn't getting any easier. I just want to give up and call it quits! I can't seem to please anyone.

billh99 replied to atalost1's response:
You might want to find a clergy person, trusted friend, or even a professional councilor that you can talk this out with.

I can't seem to please anyone.

In reality the only one that you new to please is yourself.

But too often that "tree" get lost in the "forest"

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to atalost1's response:
I think Bill's suggestion to seek some outside support and perspective is right on. Here's a link to some WebMD resources that can help you find a therapist or counseling or someone to talk with today:

WebMD Crisis Resources

In the meantime, try some stress reduction exercises that can help your anxiety right now: Stress & Relaxation Techniques

Best to you - please keep checking in!

Haylen

XSMRAY responded:
Having successfully dealt with hypertension, finally, my regimen includes:
Hydration: daily goal = filtered water (1 oz x 1/2 body weight)
Deep breathing: 15 min using a commercially available product
Moderate aerobic exercise: 30 min on ski machine
Nutrition: Almost exclusively whole organic foods & any processed is void of processed free glutamic acid, hydrogenated & refined oils, carrageenan, and refined sugars. Also, added high quality bio-available supplements of highly reputable companies, not over counter.
Rest: 7-8 hours sleep & a nap when body tells me.
Deep massage: Neck and shoulders
NO NSAIDs: In spite of arthritis pain, I am managing better without them using quality supplements as well.
WEIGHT: Dropped 20# enroute to healthy weight: another 24#.

My readings have consistently been under 120/80 and pulse in upper 50s, low 60s. Got OK from MD to 1/2 one of 3 meds. Goal is to eliminate as many as I can. I am 67 y/o and in best health since 20s. To be healthy, choose it and do it.

tinnitu responded:
I believe your high BP caused it, but taking two Aleves just made it higher. NSAIDS elevate BP. Tylenol would have been better.

atalost1 replied to billh99's response:
Went to my cardiologist to have a stress test done which he informed me that "I failed" and had me scheduled for a nucluar stress test which was done yesterday. The goal was to get my heart rate up to 144 but I couldn't get it passed 128 and then it kept dropping and my bp rose to 204/103. My head was pounding and I felt nauseas (spelling). They gave me something to relieve this but before the test, they took my bp at rest and it was 158/90 so something is not right. I am now scheduled for a echo next week. Getting a little worried because a few weeks ago I had a mild heart attack on my way into work. The symptoms only last about 20 min but it was something that I will never forget. Pressure in the chest, sweating, pain in the jaw and nausea. The drs. are not certain that this was caused by my high bp or that my MVP has a leak or the arteries are clogged. Getting a little frustrated. But after a few hours after I came home from the nucluear stress test, my bp was 183/90 and heart rate was 88. Are my drs. on the right track?

billh99 replied to atalost1's response:
Whenever I have had a stress test I have had the echo with it.

But I really don't know the doing the different tests and in which order.

But it looks like they are doing the basic workup.

The drs. are not certain that this was caused by my high bp or that my MVP has a leak or the arteries are clogged.

Possible to have both. But they need to find which is the worse and "attack" that first.

Now my circumstance are much different than yours.

Never had any symptoms other than shorts of breath.

But I failed a stress test, only lasted 4:30. Don't know what the HR reached. Then had a cauterization which showed signficant blockage in the left main.

After I had the bypass they found some mitral valve regurgitation. Fortunately it has remained at mild/moderate for the last 2 years.

Before the bypass my BP was about 160/90 and on 40 mg of an ACE inhibitor plus a diuretic to control it.

After the bypass, losing some weight, and increased levels of exercise I am down to only 10 mg of the ACEi. And not even need it.

But I also have problems with stress triggering high BP.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the cardiologist, later during a stress test, and during the followup it was 160-170/90-100.

But yesterday I was at my PCP about a knee problem and it was 110/60.

Helpful Tips

Sleep Apnea and Uncontrolled hypertension
Greetings!! I have had about all the symptoms, testing that you all are talking about. Go to a good Sleep /Pulmonary Physician because ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center