Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Blood pressure numbers
dtjt2734 posted:
My blood pressure in the morning is pretty normal,(139 give or take) around mid afternoon it goes up to (150 give or take) and by 8 P.M. it is around 180-190. I am on amlodipine (10 mg) in the morning, Benicar HCt 40/25 in the evening and I wear a clonidine patch (2%) all of the time. Is this normal for my blood pressure to vary this much?

billh99 responded:
No it is not normal. In most people the BP declines in the evening. In any case 180-190 is way too high.

The Benicar HCT includes a diuretic HCTZ and that probably should be taken in the morning and not at night. Unless you like getting up at night.

Now I don't know what the response times are for the different meds. But you might take to your pharmacist about the lifetime of the different meds and when to take them.

Then make an appointment with your doctor to discuss this.

Also I have heard that HCTZ, while commonly uses, is not that effective at controlling BP and that chlorothiazide might be a better option.

And asks the doctor about getting an ambulatory BP monitoring test. That is a wearable BP device that will measure and record your BP for 24 hours including when you are sleeping.

dtjt2734 replied to billh99's response:
My thanks to you for the reply. I will try reversin the order of meds and take the Benicar in the AM. And talk to my doctor.

Thanks again

Helpful Tips

Tool to track your blood pressure
Hi, I have a friend who has high blood pressure as does pretty much his whole family. His doctor asks them to regularly take their bp and ... More
Was this Helpful?
46 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center