Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

High Blood Pressure Testing
errol42 posted:
I recently had to go to the ER and my blood pressure had spiked to 177/111. They gave me medicine, did blood work, and took a urine sample. They kept me there until my BP was somewhat normal.
My question is, should they have done more test? Should I have had an x-ray or something?

billh99 responded:
You did not indicate why you went to the ER. The way that you wrote it makes it sound like you went for some other reason and they found the high blood pressure.

In most cases high blood pressure is call essential, that means without any specific reason.

But in some cases there are other causes for high blood pressure.

But temporary high blood pressure can be caused by stress, pain, electrolyte imbalances, and other illnesses.

None of which would show on an xray, but some do show on a blood test.

Typically high blood pressure can't be diagnosed or treated in the ER. It takes monitor the BP over time and, if needed, seeing what meds work.

ER is only good for handling the immediate crises.

errol42 replied to billh99's response:
Thanks for the reply, I went to the ER because of dizziness and pain in my head, neck, and shoulder.

derfberger replied to errol42's response:
so did i, a partial black out. While in FL Thinking it to be a stroke. went to E R

All tests were negative except BP 160/100. Since then am under the care of Internist, Cardio, Neuro, E N T and all tests including adrenal gland negative.

Cardio said everybodies BP goes up when in E R from stress. But mine didn't go down.

Have had more tests trying to find cause

Will have MRA of kidneys next week. and see another neuro. Hopefully can talk her into a MRA or angiogram of skull

Just recently had another partial syncopy (fainting) spell. B P was 177/80.

Pain in my neck is arthritus.

So far most likely cause is from cervical spondylosis causing positional vertebrobasiliar insufficiency . In simple terms the disks in my neck are slightly crushed from arthritis restricting the flow of blood to the cerribellum

an MRA will show this. No cure

suggest you get under care of a neuro and get some pictures

Helpful Tips

garlic oil
I've started taking 2 "garlic oil perles" along with my regular meds (metoperol, lisinopril. nefedipine) and my pressure has dropped 25 ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center