Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Sudden spike in blood pressure and heart rate
An_244034 posted:
I have been experiencing these sudden spikes in blood pressure and heart rate since last year. It has happened several times in a years time with 2 visits to ER. They did cardiac screening and kidney profile, MRI for kidneys and all other tests possible. They all did turn out negative. I am just 37 years old and on 3 adalat tablets, 2 Avapro and one hydro on daily basis. I lost 10 lbs and very particular about my diet with low sodium and high fibre diet. I am trying to find answers to my spikes in blood pressure and heart rate. My BP ranges from anywhere to 150/100 to 116/77 in a day while my heart rate varies anywhere from 120 bpm to 72 bpm. Pls. Help me find my answers. I am currently seeing a Nephrologist.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome! Many people have come to this community with this issue. A few questions: Have you had your thyroid tested? What about sleep disorders? (Sleep apnea and/or restless leg syndrome) Great job on the weight loss and healthy eating. Are you getting any exercise?

Also, have you checked your prescription and non-prescription meds for blood pressure side effects? (Drug infor and user reviews here: WebMD Drugs & Medications A - Z)

Good luck - please keep being persistent!

Haylen

subichou replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Haylen. I am sure during my two visits to ER, they must have tested my TSH. Anyhow, I visited yesterday my Family Physician yesterday and gave my blood sample for thyroid testing. I am still awaiting the results. Will keep posting of any developments.

Subi

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to subichou's response:
Subi,

Keep us posted! Once you have a diagnosis, I might be able to point you towards some information or expert insight.

Haylen

Helpful Tips

garlic oil
I've started taking 2 "garlic oil perles" along with my regular meds (metoperol, lisinopril. nefedipine) and my pressure has dropped 25 ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center