Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Calcium channel blockers
Ree0705 posted:
Hello everyone. Again.

Been battling stress triggered months (almost always winter months) with 160/100 constant bp during these times (consecutive daily checks at docs -lower on home machine but still high) for years.
Tried DASH, still try to stick with that, BMI 18.5 and walk my dog daily.Breathing meditation works for me for a few mins but not longterm.

This time (moving city, moving house alone, new job about to start and leaving my two teen kids in a diff town are the stressors)
Have just been started on my first blood pressure reduction meds.He's put me on Norvasc/Amplodipine. Any info or XP on this drug very welcome.

First day -I took 2.5mg today. Just wondering how long it takes to know if these alone are going to help. (Bit scared to take my bp again today -will try tomorrow). And I'm also anxious after reading on the net they can cause strokes (which seems strange since they are marketed to prevent them) and also they cause GI tract bleeding...

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Please continue to work on stress reduction. Here are some additional suggestions that might work:

Stress Management: Ways to Relieve Stress

Please ask your pharmacist or doctor specific questions about your medication. For more information and user reviews, you can check here: WebMD Drugs & Medication A - Z Doctors often put patients on medication because the benefits outweigh the possible side effect.

Haylen

Ree0705 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for replying Haylen. I will have a long read of those ideas now. The imagery one would be good for me if I can master it as it is something I can do on the go.

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center